Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Middlewood Hall Hotel, Sheffield

Default Middlewood Hall Hotel, Sheffield

Middlewood Hall Hotel has been converted back to a private dwelling. According to Wikipedia this was in 1999. As it is not clear that it was ever a pub, and as there are no photos or reviews, I suggest it should be deleted rather than marked as closed.

If you want to retain it, I will go out there and take a photo.
    Come On You Hatters!

Administrator

Hi sheffield hatter,

We have deleted that.

We don't want photos of places that should be deleted as this is just more likely to make us retain them, I only mention this as I am not sure that Sheffield Park Hotel should be listed, but now we have photos it is less likely to be removed.

Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Galore Admin View Post
    I am not sure that Sheffield Park Hotel should be listed, but now we have photos it is less likely to be removed.
    I think it was ROB Camra who suggested that it shouldn't be here, but you decided that it should. (Apologies if I have misremembered the details of this - I haven't found the relevant thread.) Rob then wrote an off-putting review (which I see you have now deleted), so I thought I might as well go and take a photo. If you've changed your mind and now think it doesn't belong here, I would not object to the entry being deleted and I imagine neither would Rob.

Cheers
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 15-06-2011 at 21:15. Reason: grammar
    Come On You Hatters!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Your memory is possibly better than mine.

There was certainly a snippy conversation between me and ROB on one hotel, and it would explain the review that seemed a bit out of place. The only reason I am not convinced it was this venue is I tend to only dig my heels in when there is a photo there which I don't think there was till you added one.

Regardless, my current logic is that if we are going to allow membership venues on and be flexible in that direction then I am happy to remove hotels in the other direction - but the proviso holds, if there is member content, photo or review, on the venue then if it has a public bar it stays.

So to clarify, is the Sheffield Park basically a hotel that only residents are likely to be drinking at (and as such would you like me to delete it)?

I've only cycled up to it, taken a photo and gone away again!

Seriously, though, it doesn't attract passing trade, there's nothing externally to say it does drinks or bar snacks, it looks and acts nothing like a pub. I would say that it is "basically a hotel that only residents are likely to be drinking at", but this is not to say that it's a residents-only bar - I've not tried to get a drink there and been refused!

I take your point about membership venues (that act like pubs in all other respects), and I appreciate that the flexibility in this direction resulted from a long debate in which many people on this forum participated. I'm not sure the deletion of hotels such as this has attracted quite so much debate. This is probably because active and vociferous forum users are seemingly not the type who would frequent this sort of venue, but maybe I'm reading too much into the absence of debate here.

I'd certainly be in favour of deleting this hotel, and if I thought that the presence of my (admittedly quite good) photos was the only thing stopping you I would delete the photos . Perhaps you should wait until you've heard from Rob, because he seems to have had a drink at the hotel and can give you a better idea of what it's like to actually be there.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 15-06-2011 at 22:34. Reason: typo
    Come On You Hatters!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I think ROB cast his vote when he put that review down. It is more about attracting quality content, this is why we started allowing the membership venues in, our members wanted to review it. If people want to review (or photograph I guess) the hotels then we should list them, but I am inclined to think that any excuse we can find to remove them is fine, if someone wants to re-add them with a review then fair enough.

Anyway, I have enough of an answer for me, we have now deleted the Sheffield Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I think ROB cast his vote when he put that review down. It is more about attracting quality content, this is why we started allowing the membership venues in, our members wanted to review it. If people want to review (or photograph I guess) the hotels then we should list them, but I am inclined to think that any excuse we can find to remove them is fine, if someone wants to re-add them with a review then fair enough.

Anyway, I have enough of an answer for me, we have now deleted the Sheffield Park.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

I take your point about membership venues (that act like pubs in all other respects), and I appreciate that the flexibility in this direction resulted from a long debate in which many people on this forum participated. I'm not sure the deletion of hotels such as this has attracted quite so much debate. This is probably because active and vociferous forum users are seemingly not the type who would frequent this sort of venue, but maybe I'm reading too much into the absence of debate here.
    If that sentence refers to me then i would take that as a compliment if not i would be dissapointed.

I dont like those types of venues,i prefer proper pubs.
    I like to visit the sort of pub that Quinno mentioned on another thread,the Murderers Arms in Moss Side i find visiting these types of pub gives me a buzz,i like going in rough pubs in rough areas i find it a challenge doing this,this probably makes me a bit different to most people on this forum.
    I have visited Moss Side and done every pub there that i saw and most were very rough but i really enjoyed doing these pubs.

Administrator

I don't think you are in any way unique in that stance Alan.

If anyone wants a debate on it kick it off in the Requests forum. I am guessing no one who posts here really cares to have the hotels that much though.