Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: boring brown bitter

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    very simple, they are beers that trendy (mainly young) drinkers who suffer from neo-phillia dislike because they

1. are drunk mainly by old men
    2. are usually clear
    3. do not contain New World hops (or very many hops in some brews)
    4. are mainly long established from usually long established breweries (see neo-phillia)

easy
    young trendies say
    1-what is cask
    2 -could you change this beer I think its off as its clear
    3 don't know which hops are in this pint but its tasty
    4 -new brewery you say sorry we like older traditional breweries so 2 pints of punk ipa and a pint of elvis juice

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Apologies for breaking the first rule.

This once more refers back to the theory that some of these bland and boring beers are that way because they are not well handled. The fact that they can travel vast distances and end up on the bar the same day as delivered (see my review here) cannot be conducive to their being pleasant drinks.

Compare this with the attention to detail of a small brewery like the one mentioned in this review; though I'm pretty sure that Charlie, Mick and John would say that the beers I drank were all boring and brown, so I may have shot myself in the foot here.
    As far as I am aware Sharps with Doombar were the first cask brewer to start filtering their beer although Camra still calls it real ale.One of the reasons it has dominated the cask trade was that it was bright beer and you could put a keg on straight away rather than let it settle.Sharps were the first brewery to realise that if the beer was not ready the pub would put something else on and Doombar would not be sold from that pump for 3 days or how long it would take for a pump to be free.By selling bright beer any pub now changes Doombar for another Doombar.Great marketing makes brands leaders .

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Doombar.Great marketing makes brands leaders .
    And in this example, crap beer, imo.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

As far as I am aware Sharps with Doombar were the first cask brewer to start filtering their beer although Camra still calls it real ale.One of the reasons it has dominated the cask trade was that it was bright beer and you could put a keg on straight away rather than let it settle.Sharps were the first brewery to realise that if the beer was not ready the pub would put something else on and Doombar would not be sold from that pump for 3 days or how long it would take for a pump to be free.By selling bright beer any pub now changes Doombar for another Doombar.Great marketing makes brands leaders .
    I was told by a cellar man that Wainwright is the same,

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I was told by a cellar man that Wainwright is the same,
    Most of Marstons beers use fast cask yeast which settles very quickly, I'm told Marstons can be put on two hours after delivery. Of course, no secondary fermentation = not real ale.

This Space For Hire

Most of Marstons beers use fast cask yeast which settles very quickly, I'm told Marstons can be put on two hours after delivery. Of course, no secondary fermentation = not real ale.
    Doesn't that mean short shelf life too? I always thought bright beer would be stale with 24 hours, blanket CO2 notwithstanding, whereas you should expect three or four days from live beer?

I was given a murky pint of Snecklifter a few years back and in the Cork JDW caught the end of a cask of Old Empire which was sludge.
    Going back to Bass, before they ruined it the casks were very heavily dry hopped and did need a long time to settle. Brakspeaar casks were also heavily dry hopped.

Fast cask,ha! this is how it should be done:
    The landlord had been told, when he first came to the pub, by a retired publican friend that, “The secret of keeping ale and beer was to order it in advance so that it can lay for two weeks before you tap it.”
    Kent Pubs-D E Tubbs (Batsford 1966). Refering to the long closed Woodman's Arms,Hassel Street, Nr Bodsham,Kent.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Thanks for the explanation which now makes perfect sense.

Perhaps CAMRA should stop classifying it as real ale - maybe we should list a pub as having no real ale if Doom Bar is the only option but only if there are no other pumps, rather than pumps with recently reversed clips?

This Space For Hire

The Bricklayers in Putney used to store the Timothy Taylor beers for a couple of weeks before serving.You need a big cellar though if you get through a lot of beer.Incidently they have started again to sell the full range of TT beers .