Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Micropub Definitions

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The Rusty Bucket is run along similar lines to a micropub but calls itself a bar.
    This reminds me of something I read recently on (perhaps) the Pub Curmudgeon's blog, along the lines of, "if the bar is facing you as you walk in - it's a pub; if it's along the side (to right or left) it's a bar". Good grief.

It seems to me that some owners of new drinking establishments, being aware of the Micropub Association's definition, and being wary of the danger of being perceived as not serving "mainstream lagers or spirits" and thereby putting off potential customers, are calling their new drinking establishments bars rather than pubs.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Again, the definition provided by the Micropub Association doesn't mention this criterion. It's like the "no mainstream spirits [or lager]" ethos that some people would like to be part of the definition. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but if we've got a "micropub yes/no" tick box on the site, shouldn't we have a definition (not necessarily the definition of the Micropub Association, but something justifiably close to it) to work with? If that's too difficult, perhaps the tick box should be linked directly to the Micropub Association list, so that they can take the flak.
    My only make or break guideline would be that there must be at least one cask offering. I don't think this site is getting any flak as people who care about it realise how difficult it is with these borderline cases. The Gypsy Rover in Redcar breaks most of the guidelines but it says micropub on the window.

This reminds me of something I read recently on (perhaps) the Pub Curmudgeon's blog, along the lines of, "if the bar is facing you as you walk in - it's a pub; if it's along the side (to right or left) it's a bar". Good grief.
    That really is nonsense! What about pubs with different entrances? If it's a genuine two room pub the probability is that the bar will be to the left or right of the entrance so that the serving area covers both rooms. Isn't bar more of an American term?

...it says micropub on the window.
    That should be good enough for us. (Goes for microbar as well, as far as I'm concerned, regardless of which way the bar counter is orientated.) If the Micropub Association want to dispute it, that would be up to them. And if it turns out that they only sell Bells whisky, dodgy chardonnay and Carling (with a side dish of warmed-over belly pork), we can cover it in the review!
    Come On You Hatters!

That should be good enough for us. (Goes for microbar as well, as far as I'm concerned, regardless of which way the bar counter is orientated.) If the Micropub Association want to dispute it, that would be up to them. And if it turns out that they only sell Bells whisky, dodgy chardonnay and Carling (with a side dish of warmed-over belly pork), we can cover it in the review!
    There may be another factor with the Micropub Association. To be a member there is a thirty quid annual subscription. While I can see this would be very useful for a start up micropub is it worth carrying on once you are established? I don't know if you need to be a current subscriber to remain on their list and no I haven't been offered any bribes to mark anywhere as a micropub on this site!!!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    From the Micropub Association website:

What is a micropub?

‘A Micropub is a small freehouse which listens to its customers...’.
    With regard to what? Marital advice? Tips on cut-price loft insulation?

This Space For Hire

That really is nonsense! What about pubs with different entrances? If it's a genuine two room pub the probability is that the bar will be to the left or right of the entrance so that the serving area covers both rooms. Isn't bar more of an American term?
    An English term which pre-dates the invention of America.
    Since at least the early 14th century, barristers were Called to the Bar of their Inn of Court at a time when they learnt by word of mouth from their masters at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Since at least the early 14th century, barristers were Called to the Bar of their Inn of Court at a time when they learnt by word of mouth from their masters at the bar.

I appreciate the legal use of the term going way back but I don't recall many places from my younger drinking days called bars. The one exception is the Coronet Bar in Sohos Street which sold Brakspear's beers.

Default A different type of bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    "The call to the bar is a legal term of art in most common law jurisdictions where persons must be qualified to be allowed to argue in court on behalf of another party and are then said to have been "called to the bar" or to have received a "call to the bar". "The bar" is now used as a collective noun for barristers, but literally referred to the wooden barrier in old courtrooms, which separated the often crowded public area at the rear from the space near the judges reserved for those having business with the Court. Barristers would sit or stand immediately behind it, facing the judge, and could use it as a table for their briefs." (Wikipedia)

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    "The call to the bar is a legal term of art in most common law jurisdictions where persons must be qualified to be allowed to argue in court on behalf of another party and are then said to have been "called to the bar" or to have received a "call to the bar". "The bar" is now used as a collective noun for barristers, but literally referred to the wooden barrier in old courtrooms, which separated the often crowded public area at the rear from the space near the judges reserved for those having business with the Court. Barristers would sit or stand immediately behind it, facing the judge, and could use it as a table for their briefs." (Wikipedia)
    No mention of hand pumps...
    Come On You Hatters!