Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What should be included on PG

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    personally I detest places that pretend to be pubs but are really restaurants, clubs or residents only hotel bars. So on that basis my definition of a "pub" is a business that would

sell draught beer (keg or cask)
    not have a charge for entry (except maybe Christmas/NewYears),
    not restrict entry on the basis of membership, style, looks, etc,
    not require the purchase of food in order to purchase drink,
    I think that OB summed it up earlier in the thread.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I think that OB summed it up earlier in the thread.
    I'd certainly agree with OB's last three points. I think the first one is slightly tricker. I've added a couple of bars that don't sell any draught beer, so on that basis these should be deleted. Fair enough if that's the concencus, I don't have a problem with that. But there are many restaurants that have a small bar area at the front that although may be mainly used by diners there's nothing to stop anyone wandering in and having just a drink, and many of these will sell something on draught.

So if we follow that to the letter, we'd have lots of restaurants on here, but we'd be missing several bars that are just drinking establishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    I'd certainly agree with OB's last three points. I think the first one is slightly tricker. I've added a couple of bars that don't sell any draught beer, so on that basis these should be deleted. Fair enough if that's the concencus, I don't have a problem with that. But there are many restaurants that have a small bar area at the front that although may be mainly used by diners there's nothing to stop anyone wandering in and having just a drink, and many of these will sell something on draught.

So if we follow that to the letter, we'd have lots of restaurants on here, but we'd be missing several bars that are just drinking establishments.
    For me, and the list was my personal definition of a "pub" and not a drinking establishment, draught beer and "pub" are inseparable. I think places that sell alcohol but not draught beers are "bars" and that's not to say they shouldn't have a place here as long as it's clear what they are - sometimes it's easy; just look for a surname or a Z in the name . (& of course the name will change every six months too)

Point 4 on my list excludes pure restaurants but not those that allow you to wander in and just buy a drink without restriction, again they should have a place here but clearly defined as what they are.

We have dozens of bars on the site - mostly without reviews - because that sort of place doesn't seem to appeal to the core reviewers; due to our average age I guess. For a good example of this check out the Fleet St / Slater St / Wood St / Bold St area of Liverpool City Centre probably centred on this one.

I think Conrad has said before we shouldn't get too hung up on the Pubs bit of Pubs Galore.
    Last edited by oldboots; 23-03-2011 at 10:11.

I think Conrad has said before we shouldn't get too hung up on the Pubs bit of Pubs Galore.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Or on candles and OB.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Or on candles and OB.
    there are limits, very definite limits, and candles, tea lights and associated dross are well on the far side of them

Ban 'em all I say!

Talking of tea lights and candles there is a pub in my town which is covered in them. Supposedly cheaper than using electricity.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

OB sums it up for me , if you can walk in off the street and buy a pint , be it in a traditional boozer , chavy lager barn or trendy winebar its OK on here , if to gain entry you need to be signed in or pay or need membership no .

If you start adding clubs where do you stop , the local Sikh Temple has a bar would anyone want that on here
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I'll stay on me own

For a good example of this check out the Fleet St / Slater St / Wood St / Bold St area of Liverpool City Centre probably centred on this one.
    I think you're right there OB, I just had a quick look at thier website. Apparently their cocktail bar does a sensational range of "Fish Bowls"

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    If you start adding clubs where do you stop , the local Sikh Temple has a bar would anyone want that on here
    Probably not, as Sikhism forbids alcohol. Pity really, as Sikh temples must provide sustenance to all comers of any faith or none.