Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A pub crawl and a festival

Default A pub crawl and a festival

The following is an extract from my latest blog, which does go on a bit. I thought the bit of most interest to PuG I'd cut and paste here for you. Enjoy!

I mentioned before that I'd never been to the NWAF before, and in fact I've never been to Manchester before, so I was completely open to the idea of a small pub crawl ending in the Marbles for lunch before the 2.30pm kick off. First port of call was the Manchester & County (JDW). Pleasant enough, but the swarm of beer lovers straight of the train put a strain on the seemingly solo barman, who struggled to serve everyone on the bar and focused mainly on one section - an easy mistake to make. From a customers point of view, I've never waited so long to be served, but with good company, a busy pub and no particular rush it wasn't an issue for myself or our group.

After a couple in there we wandered on to The Millstone, a JW Lees pub. Just the one ale in here, and surprisingly a flatscreen TV playing chart song videos - surprising because the dozen or so customers didn't seem the type, most reading the papers or chatting quietly.

A swift half in here then another saunter to The Angel, which was my pub of the trip. Around half a dozen ales on and one cider on draught, ranging from a lovely Elephant IPA to a cask lager I can't quite recall. The 10.5% ale on offer, whilst the name eludes me, sticks in my mind as being £2.50, like all the other ales. Unlike all the other ales, this was for a half! A price I wouldn't mind paying, especially if it was in the same condition as the others I tried - every one spot on. I planned on calling in here on the way back from the Marbles to try it, not willing to go that strong on an empty (foodwise) stomach. The thing that made this pub for me though, was the young barman.

I'm a huge believer in the idea that the staff make the pub, and their knowledge reflects on you, the landlord. This guy offered us a free taster of every ale we ordered, topped up every glass without being asked (they do like their sparklers in Manchester), knew enough about each one (strength, colour, characteristics) to make suggestions (with the offer of a sample), was clean and smartly dressed, polite, and whilst making small talk asked which station we were heading back to later. Learning it was Picaddily, he recommended a good cask ale pub (we never quite made it, although not for lack of wanting). I couldn't fault him, really couldn't.

It was the small conversation with him just before leaving that struck me - he asked if they sold lager at the beer festival. As far as we knew there would be a few continental lagers, but we'd all made the same mistake. Given that he knew enough about the ales, we presumed he drank them. Not his cup of tea, but he did like trying knew drinks, preferably cold and fizzy.

As we left, we decided to give him the extra ticket we had - we were all very impressed, and I'll certainly make the effort if I'm in Manchester again to go back to that pub.

With a definite need for some pub grub, we continued up the street to The Marble Arch which was full, but not bursting (luckily for us). Huge range of beers, I think 8 on tap (7 theirs and 1 from Pheonix Brewery). We couldn't resist the urge to have a pint of Pint, and it certainly wasn't a bad choice! I picked up the menu from the table, to find it was a beer menu - with a staggering selection of bottled ales and fruit beers.

This is the pub where we bumped into the Otley boys, who match their knowledge of brewing with their knowledge of drinking! After a Marble Burger (recommended), a couple more pints and much merriment and mirth, we realised that if we didn't get to the festival soon we'd be on the train without making it! It just so happened that the Smithfield Hotel had a beer festival on, and it was (roughly) on the way to the bus station, so we called in for a swift on.

Lovely array of beers on handpump and a chalkboard with more on straight from the cask in the cellar. Lightweight was my choice, which I slightly regretted after tasting Castor's offering on the basis that Lightweight lived up to it's name - not a bad beer by any means, but certainly not the best of the day. After more mirth and merriment (much to the delight of the two barmaids, I wouldn't dare think what they thought Wales was like after that!)

We then finally made it to the bus stop, just in time to miss the first bus. Unaware of how long we might have to wait, a couple of the group decided to walk the mile up to the venue, and a minute after they left the next bus pulled up! More merriment and laughter (must mention the driver here, a great sport and joined in the banter directed at him when he stopped to let the other two on)

Well Eddie, you're another person I missed along with gillhalfpint at the festival.

Can we have some T Shirts Conrad so we can recognise each other from a distance
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

You want a t-shirt with PuG in large letters across the front of it? Damn good idea actually, we will have to look into it, could be nice for when members of the forum meet up, and I know we wouldn't complain at the advertising. Although might have to think about the logo.

Good write up Ed, my wife is from Manchester and we (she) regularly goes up there to visit family, not being big drinkers neither of us have bothered going out into the city on our visits, reading that has whetted my appetite though.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I'll tell you what, I ain't ever goin on the lash with that Eddie - a pub crawl BEFORE a winter ale festival? !!!
    I am not worthy... (or is he just off his Marbles?)

Glad you mentioned Marble Pint tho Eddie - I once voted it best beer at a little 'fest down here a coupla years back; it was originally called 'Janine's One', and I wondered why I never saw it again before I learnt of the name change.

ROB, we await tales of derring-do from the judging chamber...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I'll tell you what, I ain't ever goin on the lash with that Eddie - a pub crawl BEFORE a winter ale festival? !!!

Glad you mentioned Marble Pint tho Eddie - I once voted it best beer at a little 'fest down here a coupla years back; it was originally called 'Janine's One', and I wondered why I never saw it again before I learnt of the name change.

I think our posts have just crossed. I've added a photo to the Winter Ales thread.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post

Given the trade we're all in, we don't actually get much chance for pub crawls or beer festivals (although I'm starting to make up for the latter)

I quite enjoy finding a good pub with a good selection of beers and sitting down for a while, but I really enjoyed this. The pub we never made it to was called the circus, or the circle I think. Somewhere around Piccy station...

Hang on - just re-read that, it doesn't actually include the bit about the beer festival! It boiled down to us all celebrating in the best way possible that Rambler's had finally one, me sponsering the BW bar and then continuing the celebrations on the train back with a selection of bottles including Fullers 1846 and vintage (sadly only 2008 vintage)

We actually enjoyed it so much we forgot to get off at abergavenny and ended up getting a £60 taxi back from Pontypool...

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    The pub we never made it to was called the circus, or the circle I think. Somewhere around Piccy station...
    Probably Circus Tavern, Portland Street? Not a must-visit beer-wise, but size & heritage, and rare juxtapositioning of city stuff with that of a team from nearby salford, is of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    We actually enjoyed it so much we forgot to get off at abergavenny and ended up getting a £60 taxi back from Pontypool...
    Brilliant! Can't beat having such a good time you forget where you are. Once missed the stop at Pathos & ended up a few hours later at Naxos for the night!

Real Ale Drinker

Excellant reading,seems you had a very good time,Manchester is a great city with a lot of entertainment,would say much better and cheaper than London

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I should say anyone wanting to read the full article (just reading it myself) should look at eds blog over at Student Brewer, since he seems to have been too shy to post it in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I should say anyone wanting to read the full article (just reading it myself) should look at eds blog over at Student Brewer, since he seems to have been too shy to post it in the original post.
    The full version explains a bit more and leaves some questions open about what the Welshmen did , it is a good read and he seems to have caught the mood about exposing the neo-prohibitionists.