Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Computer crippling virus 0 v 1 Strongers

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I can confirm the slow down with Norton. Bought the package and installed it, then found I could have a shower AND make a cuppa while waiting for the mext page clicked to load up.

Everything was SO slow, I felt like throwing laptop in the bin, but dis installed the Norton and had a job finding the complaint site, but did get hold of a form which I completed and returned with the disc only, and they paid my money back into my bank account. It made me very wary of installing anything. I have downloaded the spybot one but am wary of running it, being another who is green about such matters.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

It sounds like Quinno is running quite an old rig, have you noticed any slowdown Quinno?

Also do you know if it is a resident package (runs at startup) or a one of check?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    It sounds like Quinno is running quite an old rig, have you noticed any slowdown Quinno?

Also do you know if it is a resident package (runs at startup) or a one of check?
    I run an antique!

Do you mean slowdown in general, or specific to a programme? In general, it's very slow to boot up these days even after I had a good spring clean (unistalling old programmes and neutering others kicking in during startup) and some extra RAM. My next trick is a clean re-install and see if that helps - sometimes I think that the vast amount of programme updates/downloads just adds a load of excess flab to the coding. Maybe if done from fresh, it'll help.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I meant specific to the spybot app. Basically just fishing to try and work out if Gill should worry about trying it out.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

My old computer has Norton 360 which I got as a freebie after complaining to Norton that there previous anti-virus tool was letting stuff through on a regular basis. Since installing it on there everything has been as good as gold, although I suspect that's as much to do with my daughter no longer using it for chatrooms and dodgy music downloads.

The newer one came with a year's free McAfee which seems to work too well as it seems to throw out warnings about lots of sites.....not those sort I hasten to add although rather reassuringly it isn't keen on that other beer site! Probably the pop ups.

There's a little slowdown I guess - but usually I get it to run on its own whilst I traipse off to have a shower/cook dinner!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Oh how I would love a trojan

My PC went belly up on Tuesday, it will not even start in Safe Mode, I suspect the hard drive is bu66ered, currently using a borrowed laptop and expecting to fork out C £500 for a new PC

What is more annoying is that I will have to redo /install over 4 years work, sod, sod, sod

I do have backups luckily, for those who do not, do yourself a big favour and back up your data NOW

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    What is more annoying is that I will have to redo /install over 4 years work, sod, sod, sod
    They make life so much easier you know

Thanks for the link to Skybot. I downloaded it, ran it and no nasty,s were found.

Is Skybot actually anti-virus or just a tool for finding if something has got passed your anti-virus programme.

I do run Kaspersky which i get free with Barclays online banking as mentioned earlier and it seems o.k. from the little i know. It doesn,t seem to slow the computer down unless it is doing the weekly scan when it can slow it down a little at various times during the scan.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    ..........although now I have moved on to Microsoft Security Essentials. MS Security Essentials just quietly does the job and it is in MS's interest to get it right as it reduces their service overhead and negative reputation whenever their OS gets hit.
    I thought I was ploughing a lone furrow with MSE, it's comforting to know I'm not their only satisfied customer. It, and it's predecessor, Windows One Care have served me bluidy well for two or three years now, considering where some of my trips into the underbelly of cyberspace finish up..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........