Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What should be included on PG

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    ... I'd hate to have to order ales by pump number-reminds me of a dodgy Chinese! It gives the impression that the landlord/barstaff aren't interested in the beers themselves, and just see them as a commodity to knock out a la TESCO.
    The reason seems to be the fast turnover of ales, this is a city centre boozer very famous for high quality ales. They certainly wouldn't fall into the category of not being interested. The magnificent Birmingham PuG pi55 Up started off in here last year and a fine time was had by all, even Father Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The reason seems to be the fast turnover of ales, this is a city centre boozer very famous for high quality ales. They certainly wouldn't fall into the category of not being interested. The magnificent Birmingham PuG pi55 Up started off in here last year and a fine time was had by all, even Father Ted.
    Looks as if I'll have to give it a try-last time I was in Brum it was all Ansells and I think M and B.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Yes, this old chestnut again....

I have started planning a few trips, especially around the Birmingham areas. I have noticed several private clubs (working men's etc) on the site. I know there are grey areas regarding pub/restaurants, pub/cafes and pub/hotels, but is it at least possible to get a decision on private clubs? What is the point of having a pointer on a map, or writing a review for a place that none of you can actually get in, unless attending a private function? I can't see my Lord of Horsham, or hondo being invited to a 60th at the Star Member's Club in Stechford (once the North Star pub, by the way). I still believe that places on here should be free entry.

With hotels - which are in fact massive hotel complexes that do weddings, conferences, have golf courses, private fishing, as well as having gyms, tanning studios, restaurants (no mention on their websites of a bar!) - i simply propose to write a comment that these places are what they are, instead of asking for removal from the site.
    MILD:

I'll stay on me own

I think you are banging your head against a brick wall concerning deletion of private clubs,because if certain PUG users go in one and find a drop of real ale on there they will then go ahead and add it to the site.

I completly agree with what you are saying, but dont give up trying to delete hotels and the like.

If any club or similar comes up for proposal for going on the site i will as usuall argue against it and more than likely be shot down in flames,but i will still carry on argueing my point about not having to have CAMRA membership or pay a fee to get into said establishment.

Whilst I certainly have sympathy with the 'free entry only' argument, I think we need a little flexibility. I got Leyton Orient Supporters club added the other day. Why? Because I genuinely believe that a large number of this site's users would find the listing beneficial due to their beer festivals and numerous CAMRA awards.

Whilst guidelines are always useful I think being too rigid is just as bad, personally.
    Last edited by Quinno; 16-02-2012 at 00:13. Reason: corrected gibberish!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I'm with Quinno on this one and feel that I must be one of those referred to by Al 10000.

Many of the pubs I looked up in Weston that were on the site are less deserving of entry than a really good club, and a review is useful information about a drinking establishment, and once read, it is up to the reader to decide if it is a place he/she wants to visit.

Any review is therefore useful, whether it be club, pub. bar, hotel or airport bar.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    it is up to the reader to decide if it is a place he/she wants to visit.

Any review is therefore useful, whether it be club, pub. bar, hotel or airport bar.
    The point is it ISN'T up to the reader if they WANT to visit, as they can't get in!

I have far less of a problem with clubs that are on if someone HAS visited and reports back (even if private), it is the plethora of those that are on because someone has simply took a photo and there is no review at all.

If any place that serves a drink (one small place i know simply serves lager/bitter and Guinness in cans) can be reported on, then surely 'Pubs Galore' is a misleading site-name, should it not be beer galore (no offence to cocktail drinkers)?

Maybe a rule that a club/large hotel etc that is put on should have a review to accompany it?
    MILD:

I have visited a number of very nice bars within fitness and health spas. Don't go getting the wrong idea I merely visited as a non functioning guest . My stepsons were members and I was providing the wheels.No way would I consider them eligible for entry to PuG no matter how good they were. If you have to pay for entry or meet other criteria such as being a member before entry is granted then it is not a pub . What confuses me is eating places that allow you to pop in for a drink without having a meal.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    it is the plethora of those that are on because someone has simply took a photo and there is no review at all.

Maybe a rule that a club/large hotel etc that is put on should have a review to accompany it?
    This sounds like a useful compromise,maybe one for the Admins to consider.If the reviewer could also include details on how members of the public can gain entry to the said establishment ,then PuG members would have the information to make a decision about whether they are able and willing to visit the place.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I cannot understand the logic of taking a photo and not doing a review of sorts, even if to say it was closed at the time of visit. That was my problem at Newquay and Weston when I visited places listed on here without reviews, and I found it was a total waste of time (to me anyway).

A club in Halesowen says in GBG that you needed to have CAMRA card or GBG to get in, and I have been plenty of times without ever being asked for the card or book, and the same applies to the Kings Heath Cricket and Sports Club. I have been for their Sunday carvery and to their beer festivals and never had to show ID of any sort.

It would be a shame to have places as good as these removed when there are so many on site still that have no reviews at all and no-one therefore knows what sort of place they are. If any places were to be removed, I would say those with no reviews, whether a photo held or not. Some photos may be ancient and names and use could well have changed since they were put on.

There is no way we are all going to agree on this issue, as people feel strongly one way or the other.
    Last edited by gillhalfpint; 15-02-2012 at 10:09.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.