Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Those two new Tier 2 rules explained!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    But apparently a Cornish pasty doesn't count. The scotch eggs at The https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23350/ are enormous but I've had larger pasties...

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Completely. In smart restaurants, some people want an aperitif before ordering and in smart pubs, food can take an hour to arrive and service will be even slower if everyone has to order food, so I would expect customers to want a drink before their grub arrives. Then they can make for the door and the next pub.
    But don't count in doing that in the same place again.

Yup. All pubs need do is buy a sandwich toaster for a cheep cheese toastie to keep drinkers happy. The police have said they don't know how to police this. If they see a person without food, they'll look a bit foolish if the response is that they've eaten their substantial meal at lunchtime and have now settled in for an all-day bender.
    But see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55109932

Most publicans know exactly what the legislation means* and would rather keep their licence than indulge piss-takers. It is often a question in the personal licence exam.

*It's exactly the same rule as serving beer or cider to 16 or 17 year olds: they have to have a sit-down meal, not something you can eat standing up from a paper plate.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 30-11-2020 at 19:24.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    But don't count in doing that in the same place again.

But see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55109932.
    Apart from around a dozen of my locals, 99.9% of pubs I've reviewed will never see me again as I rarely travel far and if they do see me, it will be long after this is over and I doubt I'll go to a pub again until April when all this is scheduled to start to get back to normal, due to the delayed effect of any inoculation taking effect and I doubt any areas will go below Tier 2 unless it's on Dartmoor.

As far as leaving the pub when plumptious meal has been eaten, my guess is that this will allow more covers to dine, therefore putting more money into the pub trade's economy.
    Last edited by Tris39; 01-12-2020 at 18:14.

Shaun isn't a man to get on the wrong side of. However a fair point until you consider that it's not about public health it's Neo-Pro's having got their way with Government, mind you it could worse; in a word... WALES. Looks like the worst of chapel driven bigotry has had its way.

This Space For Hire

(2) This sub-paragraph applies if alcohol is only served for consumption on the premises as part of a table meal, and the meal is such as might be expected to be served as breakfast, the main midday or main evening meal, or as a main course at such a meal.

So presumably a bowl of cornflakes will suffice for students who live off nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Shaun isn't a man to get on the wrong side of. However a fair point until you consider that it's not about public health it's Neo-Pro's having got their way with Government, mind you it could worse; in a word... WALES. Looks like the worst of chapel driven bigotry has had its way.
    I think I will do a pub crawl of "Wails" and start "The Good Coffee Guide". Thank God they close at 6PM so I can go home and have a beer!

(2) This sub-paragraph applies if alcohol is only served for consumption on the premises as part of a table meal, and the meal is such as might be expected to be served as breakfast, the main midday or main evening meal, or as a main course at such a meal.

So presumably a bowl of cornflakes will suffice for students who live off nothing else.
    More to the point for many, it presumably covers a Wetherspoon breakfast...

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    More to the point for many, it presumably covers a Wetherspoon breakfast...
    https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats...d-once-4755893
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Is that paid-for content? It's only about Wetherspoon pubs (or Wetherpoon, as the barely literate Social Media Editor has it at one point). Does SomersetLive know that there are other pubs?
    Come On You Hatters!