Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    After Bridgnorth and the SVR last weekend, this Saturday i am off to Oakengates, Shifnal and Brewood - i have noted the Station from Oggy and ROB (so i will nip in the Station, while the others queue at the Crown!). I am them out around the Black Country on the Sunday - happy days!
    I will be in Oakengates on Friday so i will warn them that your coming , dont forget the Fighting Cocks its 2 doors up from the Station
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

We had a couple of hours in Devizes and did the Hare & Hounds where we had a couple of Wadworth beers, the British Lion where we had Hancocks HB and Butts Traditional, then to Spoons Silk Mercer where we picked up a couple of the foreign festival beers.

Saw the Wadworth brewery buildings, but did not have time to visit. Buses to our site were hourly and we wanted to get to the pubs in the time we had in town. Only regret was forgetting to take my camera for pub photos. We go back to the same site on our way back from Cornwall at the end of this month, but hoping to get the bus the other way into Bath.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Off to Cornwall mid May for 3 days, mainly for Eden Project, but will obviously try out all pubs I can in St Austell & Lostwithiel , maybe get along to St Austell brewery, but that is weather dependent, plus photograph any pubs I come across on journey across to Cornwall
    Last edited by Farway; 07-05-2010 at 13:57. Reason: typo

Off to the wilds of Aberdeenshire for a couple of weeks in June staying in Portknockie near Elgin the first week and Banchory near Aberdeen the second. As the World Cup will be on I can see myself paying the occasional visit to a pub but there is very little info regarding the pubs in this area. Even John McGraw's camera hasn't ventured into these parts so it really is a pub adventure of Livingstone and Shackleton proportions and I will be busy snapping and scribbling notes. I have pieced together some if the better pubs from the local CAMRA site and there are 4 'Spoons (Inverness, Elgin, Peterhead and Aberdeen) to fall back on if necessary but if anyone can endorse any pubs, I am open to suggestions.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Scotland during a World Cup? Again? Your timing is becoming downright careless Roger.
    If you do manage to find a tv, I'm sure you'll be a lone voice amongst anti-English vitriol, so watch yer back!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Scotland during a World Cup? Again? Your timing is becoming downright careless Roger.
    If you do manage to find a tv, I'm sure you'll be a lone voice amongst anti-English vitriol, so watch yer back!
    The last time we did it there were plenty of Sassenach's that came out of the woodwork so I don't think I'll be short of company and since all the games will be on terrestrial TV, shouldn't be too much of a problem finding pubs with the games on. Whether they will have any beers is a different matter. Any pubs showing any anti-England sentiments that border on anything more than friendly banter will be noted, named and shamed in the subsequent review/blog!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Meant to go to St Austell today as we fancied going to the Harbourside Inn at Charlestown. It is a Good Beer Guide pub, and says there is up to 7 ales available.

After finding we would be spending about 4 hours on buses to get around 1 1/2 hours in the pub, decided it was too hot a day to do it today, but will make the effort next week.

Going to look along the coast from Hayle next week too. Haven't had any ales from Paradise Brewery since it opened up at the Bird in Hand pub yet. Had some of the brews under the old name a few years ago, one being Golden Balls from Posh & David Beckham's early days.

A few of us are planning on doing Scarborough over the bank holiday. At one time we were regular visitors, a couple of times a year for long weekends, but we haven’t been up for about 5 years now.

The pubs we use to enjoy for the beer were the Angel, Cricketers, Alma, Hole in Wall, Indigo Alley, JDWs and the Cellar Bar (I think that’s what it was called).

Just wondered if any forum members are local to the area or have been there lately and could advise if the aforementioned pubs are still O.K. or should be avoided and are the anymore real ale pubs we should add to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    A few of us are planning on doing Scarborough over the bank holiday. At one time we were regular visitors, a couple of times a year for long weekends, but we haven’t been up for about 5 years now.

The pubs we use to enjoy for the beer were the Angel, Cricketers, Alma, Hole in Wall, Indigo Alley, JDWs and the Cellar Bar (I think that’s what it was called).

Just wondered if any forum members are local to the area or have been there lately and could advise if the aforementioned pubs are still O.K. or should be avoided and are the anymore real ale pubs we should add to the list.
    Indigo Alley & Cricketers are closed. However the guys who were at the Cricketers (Stuart & Karen) are now at the North Riding Hotel just further down the cliff. Highly recommended.

Alma & Hole In The Wall have gone seriously downhill.

Cellars is still good and a relative newcomer is the Valley bar just up from Cellars.

The JDW is one of the worst in the whole chain now.

Another new kid on the block in the last 5 years is Scholars also highly recommended.

The Angel is still fine as well.

A bit of a mixed bag I'm afraid.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 16-05-2010 at 15:35.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Cheers Rob,

Looks like Scarborough, beer wise, is going down the pan a bit.

We stayed at the North Riding a few years ago. A big Camerons house on the corner IIRC. I,ll give ,em a ring and see if they still do B&B.

Thanks for the heads up on the newer ones.