So how about whittling the list down to these seven for a poll:

Lincoln
    Newark
    Northampton
    Norwich
    Peterborough
    Shrewsbury
    Stourbridge
    I've been away while these discussions have been going on but has the omission of Loughborough from this list been justified?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    You do need to change at Stourbridge Junction and get on a rattletrap tramcar into Stourbridge proper, although that is a fairly regular service it is a bit cramped.
    I met a friend in Stourbridge who attempted to drink a coffee on the "bone shaker". Black Country Ales are opening a second pub which is near the Junction. Personally I think Stourbridge has enough options to make it viable alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's roughly on the same level as Worcester and Banbury which are surely Midland towns.
    GEOGRAPHY WARNING! one needs to be careful when comparing things on a map as UK maps are not drawn with true north exactly at the top, true north is more diagonally to the left, better to check the latitude of a place.

It's much more noticeable when trying to compare relative East/West positions, try out the longitudes for Bristol, Carlisle and Edinburgh, you may be surprised by which is the most westerly.
    Last edited by oldboots; 29-06-2019 at 14:46.

Are we ready for a poll yet? Either the seven suggested by Will in post 32 or 14 from the list of 17 in post 31.

Are we ready for a poll yet? Either the seven suggested by Will in post 32 or 14 from the list of 17 in post 31.
    I'd go with the maximum then nobody can feel hard done by. The least attractive options will fall away. If there's a tie for the top slot then a vote off will be needed.

It's much more noticeable when trying to compare relative East/West positions, try out the longitudes for Bristol, Carlisle and Edinburgh, you may be surprised by which is the most westerly.
    I know it's not Bristol, it could be Edinburgh as the train travels quite a distance West along the Firth to get there.

This Space For Hire

It's roughly on the same level as Worcester and Banbury which are surely Midland towns.
    Half in, half out: Worcester[shire] is in the West Midlands, but Banbury is in Oxfordshire which isn't a Midlands county. I don't think...

I know it's not Bristol, it could be Edinburgh as the train travels quite a distance West along the Firth to get there.
    A regular pub quiz night question:- "Which is most westerly, Bristol on the West coast or Edinburgh on the East? The answer is obviously Edinburgh by the fact that they have asked!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Half in, half out: Worcester[shire] is in the West Midlands, but Banbury is in Oxfordshire which isn't a Midlands county. I don't think...
    I used to know someone from Banbury and he always described it as the Midlands. Despite being in Oxfordshire the Northants border is on the Eastern edge of the town and the Warwickshire border is only a few miles to the North.

I'd go with the maximum then nobody can feel hard done by. The least attractive options will fall away. If there's a tie for the top slot then a vote off will be needed.
    I agree with voting for the maximum. More democratic. If two or three people can whittle it down to seven then they might as well as whittle it down to one and tell us where we are going.