Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire in late August - anyone around for a meet-up?

First day today - ticked off most of Chesterfield's finest (bar the Derby Tup, too far!). Sheffield tomorrow for a few randoms. Halifax on Monday I think....

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    First day today - ticked off most of Chesterfield's finest (bar the Derby Tup, too far!). Sheffield tomorrow for a few randoms. Halifax on Monday I think....
    I think your liver's going to be screaming by next Saturday. Still, you have to show it who's boss. See you Tuesday.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I think your liver's going to be screaming by next Saturday. Still, you have to show it who's boss. See you Tuesday.
    Good to see you yesterday Andy - a great little crawl and the best pub lunch I've ever tasted!

As predicted, I am taking today off (well, almost, I am going to trek over to The Hallowes following Gill's timely tip-off). I also have a two day's worth of reviews to start posting later too.

As for tomorrow, I need to choose between Huddersfield and Halifax

As for tomorrow, I need to choose between Huddersfield and Halifax
    Halifax is up and coming but Huddersfield has the Grove to name but the best of at least six outstanding pubs, truely the jewel in the crown of southern West Yorks. You could try both towns with very careful planning.

See you Friday.

This Space For Hire

Huddersfield surely, the Sportsman, then a taxi to The Star,and back via Rat and Ratchet, and Grove would be my recommendations. I'd have to go via Sheffield Tap coming from the south too!

Huddersfield it is. Halifax pubs don't open until the late afternoon and I am a busy man!

Still, there's always next year! And the year after...
    Last edited by Quinno; 31-08-2011 at 23:46.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Good to see you yesterday Andy - a great little crawl and the best pub lunch I've ever tasted!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ...the Grove...truly the jewel in the crown of southern West Yorks.
    Good to see you too. Really enjoyed Tuesday, just a shame it went so quick and we didn't have more time in the city centre. I suspect your palate might be a bit jaded, but you're in for a treat at The Grove, as 'ob' says. Just stunning on the beer front. I'm sure there'll be something to perk you up a bit.

Have a good day on Friday everyone.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Huddersfield it is. Halifax pubs don't open until the late afternoon and I am a busy man!

Still, there's always next year! And the year after...
    I did Huddersfield back in May or June and had a great time. The Grove is a dead cert for my pub of the year. Could quite happily have spent the whole weekend in there, probably without trying the same beer twice! Will be interested to hear how you got on.

I'm already lining up a return visit for December and hope to make it out to the Sair Inn in Linthwaite this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I did Huddersfield back in May or June and had a great time. The Grove is a dead cert for my pub of the year
    Brief update - just got back, Huddersfield was a decent day out. Best places were the Cherry Tree (JDW), Rat and Ratchet but, most brilliantly, the Grove.

Great beer but importantly a fantastic welcome. The staff were all (I assume) under 30, and were passionate and knowlegdable about the pub and their wares. They were welcoming to all-comers and I felt immediately at home there. A shame that I had to carry on and do the rest of my ticks, in a way. I will make a special effort to get back here.

I made sure I introduced PuG and left a card
    Last edited by Quinno; 01-09-2011 at 19:02.

oh yeah, see some of you scummers tomorrow in that station JDW! Off on a hike to Dronfield Woodhouse for last orders now