Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Definition of a pub

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I've often wondered how much pubs have to pay for any music they have on in the background. Several of my favourite micropubs have great tracklists but sound like private collections...
    £142.97 if smaller than 400 sq m. If it's a small place with just the telly or radio on it's less.

https://pplprs.co.uk/wp-content/uplo...l-PPLPP210.pdf

https://pplprs.co.uk/business/pubs-bars/

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I would not like to live in a world where all pubs offer cheaper beer by adopting 'Our Tim's' marketing policies, any more than one where they are all dominated by a 'Mr Humphrey'. I will happily pay a little more to enjoy a differing variety of pubs, even Greene King and Marstons ones, and yes there are extremes and some have serious delusions on what people are prepared to pay. But don't underestimate the costs of running a pub, quite apart from rapacious Pubco charges.

I agree with you but not in London and I'm getting increasingly disillusioned with Marston despite their pubs generally being reasonably priced. Any pub charging over double.the prices in a JDW is worth avoiding. Happily it generally doesn't happen outside London and other parts of the South.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Some good points there. I'm not certain about this but I would say that gastropub may have arrived in the 1990s. That was the decade when Spoons turned their attention to food and sold off outlets that couldn't sustain a kitchen and most of these were in North London.
    The Eagle is regarded as being London's first gastropub in the conventional sense (1991), and is in fact widely considered as being the first in the country. I went to The Roebuck Inn in 1989 and the food was very high end, even by today's standards but is rejected by pendants as being a gastropub as the eatery was a restaurant with a different name - Poppie's at that time - in an extension to the pub, rather than eating at table; no idea what it's like today.
    Last edited by Tris39; 09-07-2019 at 17:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    The Eagle is regarded as being London's first gastropub in the conventional sense (1991), and is in fact widely considered as being the first in the country. I went to The Roebuck Inn in 1989 and the food was very high end, even by today's standards but is rejected by pendants as being a gastropub as the eatery was a restaurant with a different name - Poppie's at that time - in an extension to the pub, rather than eating at table; no idea what it's like today.
    Thanks for that, my instinct was that they probably started in the 1990s in the same way that micropubs only really made an impact in the current decade. Back in 1991 Wetherspoon were still a small mostly if not entirely London based pub chain.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Restaurants attached to pubs are nothing new, with one of the most significant examples being the Waterside Inn in Bray, which Michel and Albert Roux took over in 1972 with the aim of introducing French gastronomie. I visited it in the late 1970s when it was still just about a pub and certainly possible just to have a pint despite the growing reputation of the restaurant. Sadly by the time it had picked up a Michelin Star or two they gave up any pretence of pub and it became just a restaurant. Various other chefs have followed this course. I think the (slightly tenuous) distinction that the Eagle successfully seized on was the serving of posh food in the pub itself. Since then of course the 'Gastropub' has acquired a style of its own, instantly recognisable when you step in the door.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Since then of course the 'Gastropub' has acquired a style of its own,.
    My take on it is that a gastropub has that uniquely British system of ordering food at the counter then waiting for it to be delivered to your table*. Agreed that happens in most pubs but the gastro- tag suggests the food quality crosses a blurred line of fanciness. Also agreed that the setup becomes pointless when all the tables are reserved for diners and you are still made to order everything at the counter. You pay restaurant prices but don't get restaurant service.

A restaurant has full food and drinks service throughout the meal. Many places which style themselves gastopubs are in fact restaurants.

*I'm sure most overseas visitors find the whole thing weird. As must bar staff overseas when a Brit walks up to the counter clutching a menu and starts reading it to them.