Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

This Space For Hire

Rooting through the back of the 'cellar', I came across this. A 2010 bottle of Waitrose Duchy Original Old Ruby Ale, made with heritage barley, which I have no recollection whatever of purchasing. Anyway, despite being 9 years past its Best before I gave it a go and it was quite superb - a full malty front with a dry fruit finish, to use some poncey terminology. Not a lot of carbonation but all the better for that. Apparently brewed by Wychwood. I may have to seek out a Waitrose...
    Duchy_Old_Ruby..jpg
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    If you had the Ginger & Chilli first, I'm not surprised your taste buds were shot.
    Thanks for the advice. I went for another Black Sheep Imperial Russian 8.5% tonight, but this time I kicked off with a pint of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter 4%, after which the Russian came through at full volume. Very nice.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Apparently brewed by Wychwood.
    I remember the early days of Wychwood when they started a chain of pubs called Hobgoblin. I also remember their beers being available in the E10 Deum JDW. If I think the cask Hobgoblin was 5.5%. The other one I remember was a strong (6.5%) pale called Dog's Bollocks. The pump clip was just as raucous as the name!
    Hobgoblin Gold isn't bad but all the other Wychwood products I've tried are second rate.

Worst Pub Crawl Ever

#1 The Hall. A really nice, airy single room bar, no counter as such but a table at one end that looks like a piano. Oh, it is a piano. The room is double height, and there is a stone open fireplace that was laid for later, presumably, though there weren’t many customers in, so I don’t suppose they’ll bother lighting it today. There is a nice stone floor, though this makes it a bit echoey when it’s not busy. I believe they host the odd function here, though it lacks any seating so I’m not sure how that works out. There’s no entertainment other than the piano/bar, so it’s more geared to vertical drinking and chit-chat. The pub dog, a friendly, boisterous Malinois, was very keen to play with me, and the welcome was initially warm, though the landlady did ask me what I was doing there. A very odd question, I thought. There are 2 picture windows looking out onto a pleasant lawned garden at the front, there was plenty of parking, but no outside play facilities for children. I had a bottle of Fine Tuned Sunshine Reggae, which was kept at room temperature and was most enjoyable. I would have had more, but time was moving on and I wanted to try other local establishments. I’m sure I’ll pass through here again in the not-too-distant future. 7/10

#2 The Dining Room. This food-led single-room bar/diner wasn’t serving food when I arrived, so I just had the one drink and moved on. It’s a pleasant place, a couple of nice pictures on the wall and a picture window overlooking a pleasant lawned garden at the front. No garden furniture as such, but a nice view to the hedge where the pub dog, a bouncy, boisterous Malinois, was happily devouring a small furry animal it had caught. The parquet floor and plush soft furnishings, along with a woodburner which was laid ready but not lit, presumably because there weren’t many customers in. There is a do-it-yourself jukebox in the corner, but when I put on a CD the landlady, who resembled the landlady of The Hall, asked what I thought I was doing. The bar was a help-yourself cabinet in the corner. No draught ale, but there was a bottle of Sunshine Reggae, which was kept at room temperature, and a good selection of wines. I had a beer and a glass of Merlot, then left. I quite enjoyed the visit, and I’d like to come back some time when they’re doing food. 7/10

#3 The Kitchen. This was a busy food-led establishment, a large L-shaped ground floor bar with a food servery at one end, some comfy seating at the apex and a conservatory with nice views over a secluded rear garden and a paved patio with a couple of chairs. There is a large TV screen showing pre-recorded sports events, the floor is tiled, there are oak beams and it has a homely, lived-in feel. The pub dog, a rather lively, slighltly annoying Malinois, pestered for treats, while the landlady – the absolute spitting image of The Dining Room’s landlady – did seem a little grumpy. There is a variety of seating styles ranging from a sofa in the corner to chairs and barstools. Tried to order food, but apparently they’d stopped serving a while ago and I was told to ‘bloody well get my own’ – clearly some training in customer service is needed. I had a bottle of Sunshine Reggae, a really nice beer, room temperature, and a glass of chilled cider from a large fridge. Got shouted at for not returning my glass to the bar. Left without paying, this one best left to the locals. 4/10

#4 The Drawing Room. Entered through a paved patio with a couple of chairs next to a secluded rear lawn, avoided tripping over the pub dog, an annoying Malinois, found a single-room bar with no counter, just a cupboard with some spirits and a single bottle of Sunshine Reggae, room temperature, spilled some beer, had a whisky chaser, and got shouted at by the landlady, clearly a clone of the angry one in The Kitchen. There were 3 large comfy sofas, small table, carpeted floor with Sunshine Reggae stain on floor by glass doors. No other customers so left. A nice comfy pub but the atmosphere means I probably won’t come back just yet. Wanted to put something on the DIY jukebox but got sworn at as the landlady was more interested in watching the large TV showing some drama thing on ITV. Could be so much nicer. Tripped over annoying pub dog, a mangey Mally- Mallo- Malenw – mongrel on way out of other door. Will come back if not barred. 5/10

#5 The Study. Nice parky flawed rheum, comfy chairs by Victorian fireplace laid but not lit as no-one in. Picture window with boring view of grass at front. No parking. Plus side, no children. Waited to get served, no-one came. Heard pub dog – some brown thing – scrabbling at door and ignored the little sod. Bottle of port on table, had one, found warm Sunshine Reggae and drank that. Dropped empty bottle, bugger. Feeling a bit light headed, went to upstairs toilet to avoid vicious landlady, clearly from the same litter as the one from The Drawing Room. DIY jukebox, put some Deep Purple on, ran away. Might come back if feeling sociable in future. 8/10

#6 Bedroom Two. Strange Goth-friendly place, dark as all curtains closed, untidy room. Smells of stale trainers and shower gel. Couldn’t find bar, nowhere to sit, barmaid was female in early 20s, a younger vershun – versen – looked like landlady at The Study but without wrinkles and had more hair. Also young bloke who looked bemused and didn't want to chat. Rude, told me to get out. I got hiccups. Looked for beer, tripped over empty bottle of Sunshine Reggae. Pub dog noisy horrible Belgian thing yapping away dowstairs. Left, stood on something which broke, was abused by locals, not allowed to use bog. Won’t go back. 3/10

#7 Bdrom One. Large single room bar with a carpet which wa very cumftabl on hands and knees. Came face to face with pub dog which woz reely a fat black and white cat that swore at me. Saw bottle of Sunshete Rigger very, very high up on a cupbud, couldn’t reach, stand up, grab bottle, fall over. Bugger no opener. Room temperature. Tried reach wondow view garden. Veru cross landlady, pretty lady looks like Landlady of Drawing Room, shouts a lot when I try to kiss. Seems familiar from somewhere. One other customr shouting like young lady in Bedroom 2 somehign about me drunk but im not ver unfiendly pub not wanting to come bak, 2/10 pub dog stroppy Mali thing barking dowstairszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Worst Pub Crawl Ever
    Brilliant.

Ha Ha, what it is to have time on your hands.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

ETA you have surpassed yourself.

Good luck with the hangover......
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Ha Ha, what it is to have time on your hands.
    It's time I should have spent in the Wyndham Arms!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Good luck with the hangover......
    Thank BF, guess Hair of the Pub Dog will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Rooting through the back of the 'cellar', I came across this. A 2010 bottle of Waitrose Duchy Original Old Ruby Ale, made with heritage barley, which I have no recollection whatever of purchasing. Anyway, despite being 9 years past its Best before I gave it a go and it was quite superb - a full malty front with a dry fruit finish, to use some poncey terminology. Not a lot of carbonation but all the better for that. Apparently brewed by Wychwood. I may have to seek out a Waitrose...
    Duchy_Old_Ruby..jpg
    I thought at first you might have required a time machine however Duchy Originals is now run by Waitrose (not the impression I gained when watching The Windsors the other night) and apparently still brewed in Oxfordshire. That suggests it's at the old Wychwood brewery in Witney rather than at Banks's in Wolverhampton

You should be able to get a delivery from https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...40-11924-11925 for a very reasonable £2.09 / 500ml.