Ads not shown when logged in
Page 29 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

[QUOTE=Aqualung;58842]Have you not come across Kent Brewery Enigma? That's a very good cask Black IPA and was the same price as any other beer of 5-5.5% strength in the pub I tried it (£3.60 less 10% CAMRA discount).

I'm afraid I haven't seen it, though I have yet to find a Kent Brewery beer that I really enjoy. Session Pale Ale is probably the most to my taste.
    Train Man: I'm not very well up on public transport-nearest bus two miles away and not regular (and hellish expensive) and railway station 5 miles, via above bus! Will give it some thought.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Spritzer Swallower

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2919.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	945 JDW prices up again, as from 9th October Guest ales at the spoons I use in Leeds have increased by 6p per pint to 2.55.
    I have heard that in other towns and cities there has been no increase, is this true ? Last year in the same pub they slapped on a 40p increase.

Quote Originally Posted by pintplease View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2919.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	945 JDW prices up again, as from 9th October Guest ales at the spoons I use in Leeds have increased by 6p per pint to 2.55.
    I have heard that in other towns and cities there has been no increase, is this true ? Last year in the same pub they slapped on a 40p increase.
    That's more expensive than most London Suburb Spoons. Is it a blanket £2.55 or do they have standard guests (4.9% and less), premium guests (5.0% to 5.5%) etc? Some of the guests in the cheaper Spoons have been only £1.99 this summer and the one in Chingford is advertising festival ales FROM £1.99.

I went to the Skylark in Croydon recently and all bar one of the guests were £2.80. I could see no justification at all for it being that expensive.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Prices in the George (Croydon) & Wibbas Down (Wimbledon) seem to be a moving target somewhere between £2.20 & £2.55, but always good value and great choice.
    On Friday, at Postal Order (Crystal Palace), I had Hawkshead 5-Hop (5%) £2.35 (£1.85 with voucher), and Darkstar APA (4.7%) £2.65 (>£2.15)

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Seems no big change here, this lunchtime I had an excellent pint of Old Naval Custom from Oakleaf brewery in the Denmead Queen (JD Weatherspoon) at £2.15

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Prices in the George (Croydon) & Wibbas Down (Wimbledon) seem to be a moving target somewhere between £2.20 & £2.55, but always good value and great choice.
    On Friday, at Postal Order (Crystal Palace), I had Hawkshead 5-Hop (5%) £2.35 (£1.85 with voucher), and Darkstar APA (4.7%) £2.65 (>£2.15)
    I think the Premium guests in the George are £2.65, which is what I paid for the 5 hop there. This is more expensive than most suburban Spoons, 30p dearer than your example. Last time I was there the pints were £2.80, but they were not Standard guests and they were on the strong side. Dark Star and Locale beers tend to be dearer than the Standard guests off the latest list, but typically it would be the Premium guest price applied if it were a beer of less than 5% ABV. Why the inferior Skylark has nearly everything at £2.80 is a mystery to me.
    I was in the Hailsham George on Saturday and the Dark Star prices had gone DOWN from £2.65 to £2.40.
    I was told in the summer that there would be a price review in October, so maybe they've gone up for a few really busy ones and the odd quieter one has come down.

This Space For Hire

I noticed the guy in front of me at the Shakespears Head Holborn paid £3.55 for a pint of London pride.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I noticed the guy in front of me at the Shakespears Head Holborn paid £3.55 for a pint of London pride.
    London Pride and ESB are always expensive. Adnam's "uninvited guests" are invariably the same price as the official guests and in my book are just as good if not better than Fuller's. I got four bottles of Honey Dew from Tesco this week for a fiver, so Fuller's are clearly on the make. Their pubs are all on my Avoid list.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    London Pride and ESB are always expensive. Adnam's "uninvited guests" are invariably the same price as the official guests and in my book are just as good if not better than Fuller's. I got four bottles of Honey Dew from Tesco this week for a fiver, so Fuller's are clearly on the make. Their pubs are all on my Avoid list.
    Tesco loss leader?

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Tesco loss leader?
    I think that highly unlikely as there were loads of different bottles at 4 for a fiver including ESB. I went for that one as I had never tried it before and wasn't overly impressed.