Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Statistical Anomaly

Default Statistical Anomaly

Looking through this year's list of the most popular pub names, I was surprised that BrewDog didn't feature - I reckon that there are 43 BrewDogs, which would place it at 112th most popular name. On investigation, it turns out that we have taken an inconsistent approach to naming BrewDog pubs. Only 8 BrewDogs are named as 'BrewDog', while the other 35 have the town name included in the name field, so are not counted by the stats algorithm as Brewdogs. So 'Brewdog>>Bristol>>Bristol (County)' counts as a BrewDog, whereas 'Brewdog Leicester>>Leicester>>Leicestershire' does not.

At risk of pedantry, is it worth resolving this? Or should I just accept that the names are truly different and concentrate on turning the oven off when I go to the pub?
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

I think you have raised a decent point. The BrewDog in Birmingham is simply called "BrewDog". There is no mention of Birmingham on the signage. I would assume that the other branches are the same so I would suggest removing the place name from the pub name.

I am a salmon !!

This Space For Hire

BrewDog seem to call them "BrewDog Blahh" on their website though that could as easily be a device to optimise searches as the official names of the branches. You certainly wouldn't call it "Slug and Lettuce Blahh" even if that was the internal name for outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    At risk of pedantry, is it worth resolving this? Or should I just accept that the names are truly different and concentrate on turning the oven off when I go to the pub?
    A few thoughts:
    1) There are some cities with more than one BrewDog outlet (sometimes in fairly close proximity) so I think adding the location helps.
    2) This certainly used to be how BrewDog referred to their outlets themselves (and they should know, although this is now less clear on the latest incarnation of their website).
    3) A similar question arises with other chains such as Harvester and Brewers Fayre which usually also have a 'real name', but one or the other are used by customers (if not together) and both are really needed in the Pubs Galore name to make searches work either way.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    1) There are some cities with more than one BrewDog outlet (sometimes in fairly close proximity) so I think adding the location helps.

Yeah but we don't do that with, to use my example, Slug and Lettuces. Like the four in central Manchester. The one in Albert Square can't be more than a couple of hundred yards from the Deansgate branch.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 01-01-2020 at 17:55.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Looking through this year's list of the most popular pub names, I was surprised that BrewDog didn't feature - I reckon that there are 43 BrewDogs, which would place it at 112th most popular name. On investigation, it turns out that we have taken an inconsistent approach to naming BrewDog pubs. Only 8 BrewDogs are named as 'BrewDog', while the other 35 have the town name included in the name field, so are not counted by the stats algorithm as Brewdogs. So 'Brewdog>>Bristol>>Bristol (County)' counts as a BrewDog, whereas 'Brewdog Leicester>>Leicester>>Leicestershire' does not.

I would always recommend turning the oven off before going to the pub, or even going to bed, but sometimes its easier said than done.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Yeah but we don't do that with, to use my example, Slug and Lettuces. Like the four in central Manchester. The one in Albert Square can't be more than a couple of hundred yards from the Deansgate branch.
    Accepted, but perhaps we should (for all those Slug & Lettuce fans out there)?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Accepted, but perhaps we should (for all those Slug & Lettuce fans out there)?
    Indeed. I guess Harvester and Brewers Fayres could follow the JDW pattern and be listed as "Steaming Crapheap (Harvester) for those who feel compelled to avail themselves of the Famous e-coli Salad Cart when visiting a strange ring-road.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 01-01-2020 at 19:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I think you have raised a decent point. The BrewDog in Birmingham is simply called "BrewDog". There is no mention of Birmingham on the signage. I would assume that the other branches are the same so I would suggest removing the place name from the pub name.
    That seems to be the case with all their outlets - the outside signage says simply 'BrewDog'.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

When I did my top 250 Pub Names Challenge I asked Dave to remove chain names from the 250 list - https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/c...e/quinno/2016/ as I wanted it to be 'proper traditional' pub names.

I don't know whether https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/pubs/pub-names/ looks at the same SQL but that might well be a contrbuting factor...