Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cashless card only pubs

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post

Perhaps we need a new filter set up - “takes cash”!
    I would think at this stage an extra one of these would be an overload. I was thinking more of a forum list. If the people who have posted above are correct then that would become unwieldy. I don't agree with them but that may be more wishful thinking than logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    My credibility locally would be shot if I was found out to be a regular at a Mc Mullens pub
    I'm speechless!!!

This Space For Hire

There is nothing wrong with Mcmullens beer that could not be sorted by better brewers ,more hops,less malt and some taste.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Mcmullens beer that could not be sorted by better brewers ,more hops,less malt and some taste.
    I remember in the 1990s they did a series of seasonal brews that at the time were OK being something different. Their AK was revered in CAMRA circles as a light mild but to me it was just a cooking beer, more acceptable than most of the Big Six dross.
    My objection to them is that they dropped some of their smaller rural pubs (the Moletrap springs to mind) and just kept increasing prices annually. This was always just before the budget so they could increase them again for duty rises and then blame the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I would think at this stage an extra one of these would be an overload. I was thinking more of a forum list. If the people who have posted above are correct then that would become unwieldy.
    I like making lists though! https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-fea...ess-card-only/

I've not added it as a 'pub feature' option though so I'll keep an eye out for reports posted here and add them to the list - until it becomes unwieldy anyway.

If it does remain a relatively minor thing then it would probably become useful to flag on pub pages that they don't take proper money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I like making lists though! https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-fea...ess-card-only/

I've not added it as a 'pub feature' option though so I'll keep an eye out for reports posted here and add them to the list - until it becomes unwieldy anyway.

If it does remain a relatively minor thing then it would probably become useful to flag on pub pages that they don't take proper money.
    There is an empty 'Cashless since' date for Ubrew, but it was cards only when I visited on 16 August 2016 (which sticks in the mind as being the first time I encountered this phenomenon).

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Visited this place recently and they only took card payments - Trap Real Ale Bar

If this was a list of pubs where the bar staff assume you are paying by card and hand you the card machine by default, you could add pretty much every Central London pub - I did a four-pub, Friday evening crawl in Fitzrovia recently and in all four pubs I was given the card machine whilst I was holding out a bank note.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    Perhaps we need a new filter set up - “takes cash”!
    I have only just got used to some pubs accepting cards! (for drinks only that is).

I am used to the old signs "Cash Only - The Banks don't sell Beer, We don't cash Cheques!"

Is there not still a law prohibiting the purchase of alcohol on credit? So a debit card is fine but a credit card would be illegal?