Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One post whingers

Default One post whingers

Is it just me?

It seems that quite a high percentage of the one post wonders we get on the site are women and they join the site simply to complain about the food, the function room, the waiting time for food, the parking, the toilets or the staff and management.

None of them actually review the pub and seldom if ever mention the beer.

Most of the complaints seem to concentrate on the peripheral items rather than the main point of the pub. Which in most cases is selling beer.

Why is this? Is it via Facebook? Anybody any ideas?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I certainy find it annoying, if you see a review for a pub you are interested in and it bangs on about food and carpets and flowers in vases but makes no mention of what beer or even fizzy stuff is on or available it is frustrating. In alot of instances it must be people with axes to grind. There is thankfully much less of it on this website, a much greater prevalence occurs on that other site. But surely any information is better than no information and it is up to us, the reader, to make what we can of these types of review.

Am sure it is not restricted to women solely, but very irritating none the less.

As a side issue if my wife goes to a pub without me she never checks what was on, I always ask her and she never makes a mental note! Back to the drawing board there, sigh.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post
    As a side issue if my wife goes to a pub without me she never checks what was on, I always ask her and she never makes a mental note! Back to the drawing board there, sigh.
    Not restricted to your wife, I often forget what was sale or what t I drank, I sometimes scribble notes but often not as I try & be "invisible" whilst quitely giving place the once over

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Is it just me?

It seems that quite a high percentage of the one post wonders we get on the site are women and they join the site simply to complain about the food, the function room, the waiting time for food, the parking, the toilets or the staff and management.
    I get the impression most of them are posted late on a Sunday after a poor family Sunday lunch experience. They may well have just fallen out with their in-laws and blamed it on the food. Although many will never figure out that the food is identical stuff from the same factory in every Vintage Toby Harvester Ember in the country and slagging the pub off won't alter that; it'll won't be any better when you take the other in-laws there next Sunday.

This Space For Hire

I find making notes of what was on in a pub spoils the experience. It's like trying to work out if the sex was good while you're having it.

I can review pubs based on multi-experiences but when I compare to other people's reviews I feel they lack something as they don't go into the specifics. I'll rarely remember what was on (unless it was highly memorable).

I also have to acknowledge that the things I like pubs for are generally not the same as the audience...

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I tend to concentrate on the beer and forget to mention the surroundings - blinkered or focused - not sure. Try to see if a dartboard or pool table around, but review info drops as the day goes on for some reason.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post
    flowers in vases
    Or of course........ twigs in vases
    MILD:

I see The Black Bull Inn at Great Smeaton Northallerton, has come in for some stick today.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    I see The Black Bull Inn at Great Smeaton Northallerton, has come in for some stick today.
    Pity they couldn;t get their stories straight. Either 'too busy to make breakfast' or 'breakfast still being eaten at lunchtime (but what's wrong with bacon and egg for lunch?).

Only two bedrooms according to website so that's both of them accounted for I guess.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    None of them actually review the pub and seldom if ever mention the beer.
    What a review like
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra
    It's a hotel, it's got an overpriced bar. Go and drink somewhere better.