Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cashless card only pubs

Been in a couple of cashless railway arches to date, but not yet a proper pub.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Was in a cashless bar in Ealing 2 years ago. Got my drink for free as I ordered it and they wouldn't take cash.

I've lost count of the amount of places I've been to (primarily Central London, but creeping out to the suburbs and Home Counties) where I've ordered a drink and the server has immediately gone to fetch the card terminal. I always say with a smile "No, I'm doing it the old-fashioned way" whilst proffering coins or a note - they either return the smile or look at me as if I've just dropped out of an elephant's arse...
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Went to our local ploughing match at the weekend.My son bought me a beer in the beertent, and paid cashless.The barman took it in his stride, but in the time it took to whip out a smart phone, a mound of wire and a card reader I could have paid in proper money,drunk my beer and ordered the next one...
    Any way,I don't want the bankmanager to know what I spend on beer.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Went to our local ploughing match at the weekend.My son bought me a beer in the beertent, and paid cashless.The barman took it in his stride, but in the time it took to whip out a smart phone, a mound of wire and a card reader I could have paid in proper money,drunk my beer and ordered the next one...
    Well, if that was in a field between Headcorn and Hawkenbury, steam is still a new technology!

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Any way,I don't want the bank manager to know what I spend on beer.
    Good point! I shop mainly in Tesco as it's the easiest one to get to and always pay with cash, nor do I have a Club Card. The idea of sticking two fingers up at their marketing department is worth the paltry saving of having a Club Card!
    I don't have a smart phone and have no intention of getting one. They are turning the human race into zombies.
    I can't see card only pubs becoming widespread in the immediate future. Maybe the more trendy ones will but I couldn't care less what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Well, if that was in a field between Headcorn and Hawkenbury, steam is still a new technology!
    Yep! I was surprised they found a signal.Perhaps the steam ploughing rig generated its own wifi. Decent beer to be had, though.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Was in the Beer Boutique Putney last night and ordered a third of the only beer I could afford Kernal -green hop 3.1 £2.45.The barman told me when I tried to pay with cash that they had stopped cash only this week.After I told him I didn't have a card the only other customer in the pub sat at the bar told the barman to stick it on his bill and he would pay for it.Nice guy but I compromised by giving him the money and he paid on his card.Sorted but I think this is going to get more common and I will have to reluctantly start taking a card out with me Lost a credit card 3 weeks ago and lost my debit card last week so not happy about this payment change.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Was in the Beer Boutique Putney last night and ordered a third of the only beer I could afford Kernal -green hop 3.1 £2.45.The barman told me when I tried to pay with cash that they had stopped cash only this week.After I told him I didn't have a card the only other customer in the pub sat at the bar told the barman to stick it on his bill and he would pay for it.Nice guy but I compromised by giving him the money and he paid on his card.Sorted but I think this is going to get more common and I will have to reluctantly start taking a card out with me Lost a credit card 3 weeks ago and lost my debit card last week so not happy about this payment change.
    I think this is outrageous. I have cards but would have told the barman where to stick it. I can't see this happening anywhere other than trendy bars which I try and avoid. However, I would gladly go to places like this and order the most expensive drink available just so I could walk out and tell them where to go when they declined cash.