Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lists Of London Pubs

I think I might have been the one that inadvertently 'gazumped' you Will, as my copy arrived today from Amazon and I can see that it was fulfilled via Awesome Books, albeit I paid £2.80 for the privilege, so looks like you got a better deal than me in the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Komakino; 09-09-2021 at 17:48.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    I think I might have been the one that inadvertently 'gazumped' you Will, as my copy arrived today from Amazon and I can see that it was fulfilled via Awesome Books, albeit I paid £2.80 for the privilege, so looks like you got a better deal than me in the end.
    I'm glad that it seems to have gone to a good home!
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Let's All Go Down the Strand

I did my first crawl based on Discovering London's Inns and Taverns by John Wittich (4th edition, 1996). It's not really a pub crawler's guide - more of a historical list with a bit of a ramble. My route is taken from Chapter 2, Let's All Go Down the Strand. My preparatory work eliminated two out of 12 as not really pubs in the first place (the Savoy Hotel and Rule's on Maiden Lane), two that are just about drinking places but not my cup of tea (this cocktail bar (formerly a Hogshead) and this drag queen bar (formerly the George Adelphi)), and one that has become a burger joint (Gordon Ramsay Street Burger (formerly the Peacock)), leaving seven of which one, not surprisingly, turned out to have closed: Punch & Judy.

Here's the shortened crawl:

1. formerly St Martins Tavern, now Theodore Bullfrog
    2. The Coal Hole
    3. Lyceum Tavern
    4. Nell of Old Drury
    5. The Nags Head
    6. The Lemon Tree

See the crawl route here.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 02-10-2021 at 16:16.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I did my first crawl based on Discovering London's Inns and Taverns by John Wittich (4th edition, 1996). It's not really a pub crawler's guide - more of a historical list with a bit of a ramble. My route is taken from Chapter 2, Let's All Go Down the Strand. My preparatory work eliminated two out of 12 as not really pubs in the first place (the Savoy Hotel and Rule's on Maiden Lane), two that are just about drinking places but not my cup of tea (this cocktail bar (formerly a Hogshead) and this drag queen bar (formerly the George Adelphi)), and one that has become a burger joint (Gordon Ramsay Street Burger (formerly the Peacock)), leaving seven of which one, not surprisingly, turned out to have closed: Punch & Judy.

2. The Coal Hole
    3. Lyceum Tavern
    4. Nell of Old Drury
    5. The Nags Head
    6. The Lemon Tree

I have the book but only half way through, seems like a half decent crawl going by your reviews, disappointed the Nell has fallen away, always quite liked that one.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

2. The Coal Hole
    3. Lyceum Tavern
    4. Nell of Old Drury
    5. The Nags Head
    6. The Lemon Tree

I've been to Rules a couple of times as a treat; I don't know if you'd like it as it's probably the country's most vegetarian-unfriendly eatery.
    Like Ray, I had a Richard Harris moment here with the ex around 2000. She asked for his autograph and his hand kept trying to wander up her short skirt; I don't think I've seen many people as drunk as him. We then went to a drinks party at the Savoy and I got rather drunk. I remember going to the loo and being greeted by a friendly cloakroom attendant in top hat and tails. I used the urinal and noted it had both a cold and hot flush: 'There's posh' I thought. I turned to leave and saw the attendant now glowering at me. It was only then I realised I'd pee'd in the wheelchair users' basin.
    Other than that, I've not actually been to many of the above pubs.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    disappointed the Nell has fallen away, always quite liked that one.
    Not to be confused with the Nell Gwynne..., though this rather rests on its laurels, imo, and its ginnel location...

I've documented the other London pub crawl I did last week: London's Beautiful Pubs.

I got the idea from a list that someone posted on the Yet Another List thread, and I made a note of the names of six of the pubs with the heading in quote marks, so I don't think I'll have made it up.

The trouble is, I can't remember why I chose those six specifically and why I left out the remainder (there are always more than six, aren't there) and I don't know when the list was posted, though I reckon within the last year, and quite likely during the long lockdown. I've tried Googling, of course, but the nearest I got was this, which is ten different pubs altogether.

Anyone know or got any ideas?
    Come On You Hatters!

Spritzer Swallower

I've documented the other London pub crawl I did last week: London's Beautiful Pubs.

I got the idea from a list that someone posted on the Yet Another List thread, and I made a note of the names of six of the pubs with the heading in quote marks, so I don't think I'll have made it up.

The trouble is, I can't remember why I chose those six specifically and why I left out the remainder (there are always more than six, aren't there) and I don't know when the list was posted, though I reckon within the last year, and quite likely during the long lockdown. I've tried Googling, of course, but the nearest I got was this, which is ten different pubs altogether.

Anyone know or got any ideas?
    My best guess is those are some of the London entries from this list linked by Tris here - The Sailsbury Hotel looks to be one of Tris's suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
    My best guess is those are some of the London entries from this list linked by Tris here - The Sailsbury Hotel looks to be one of Tris's suggestions.
    That's spot on, Luke. Really appreciate it.

At the time that list was quoted I had done all the London pubs but five, and quite a lot of the others - in fact all except Ty Coch Inn, Porthdinllaen, Morfa Nefyn, Gwynedd, LL53 6DB . And then I added the suggestion from Tris @1695 for the very superb Salisbury Hotel which gave me six to do last week. But somehow I missed the addition of The Queens @1698, not to mention the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish lists which he added @1699. I'll go through those when I have a minute, to see what I'm missing.

For future reference:

The UK's most beautiful pubs

The Windsor Castle, 114 Campden Hill Road W8 7AR Done 30/09/21
    Whitelock’s Ale House, Turks Head Yard, LS1 6HB Done pre-30/09/21
    The Prince Alfred, 5A Formosa Street W9 1EE Done pre-30/09/21
    The Viaduct Tavern, 126 Newgate Street EC1A 7AA Done 30/09/21
    The Canny Man’s, 237 Morningside Road, EH10 4QU Done pre-30/09/21
    The Red Lion, 2 Duke of York Street SW1Y 6JP Done pre-30/09/21
    Bartons Arms, 144 High Street, B6 4UP Done pre-30/09/21
    The Tabard, 2 Bath Road W4 1LW Done 30/09/21
    The Warrington Hotel, 93 Warrington Crescent W9 1EH Done pre-30/09/21
    The Victoria, 10A Strathearn Place W2 2NH Done 30/09/21
    Philharmonic Dining Rooms, 36 Hope Street, L1 9BX Done pre-30/09/21
    The Princess Louise, 208 High Holborn, WC1V 7EP Done pre-30/09/21
    The Marble Arch, 73 Rochdale Road M4 4HY Done pre-30/09/21
    Ty Coch Inn, Porthdinllaen, Morfa Nefyn, Gwynedd, LL53 6DB Add to to-do list
    The Salisbury, 90 St Martin’s Lane WC2N 4AP Done 30/09/21
    The Blackfriar, 174 Queen Victoria Street EC4V 4EG Done pre-30/09/21
    Crown Posada, 31 The Side, NE1 3JE Done pre-30/09/21

Plus:

The Salisbury Hotel Done 30/09/21
    The Queens Hotel Add to to-do list
    https://www.mapquest.com/travel/top-...s-in-scotland/
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...wales-11660958
    https://www.irelandbeforeyoudie.com/...thern-ireland/
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 05-10-2021 at 00:31.
    Come On You Hatters!

Interesting to see the reactions of Tris and John to this one's inclusion:

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I wasn't that taken with the Tabard, especially the dreadful service and AstroTurf beer garden. It's ok but I don't think it belongs on this list, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Agree on you with the Tabard interesting pub history but otherwise dull interior.
    I was lucky (if you read my review) in that the service was really good - I didn't mention that one of the funeral party went up to the bar for a second time and was told he didn't have to pay if he was with the funeral. "Oh", quoth he, "I was charged for my first pint." The bar manager, in the face of protestations that the customer wasn't that bothered, went onto the till and did a refund for the price of his beer and recharged it to the funeral account. Wow!

More to the point, I really liked the Arts & Crafts interior, and was interested to find out, from the Camra heritage link, that the tiles were by a close friend of William Morris. (One of my photos is of a "two-part tiled painting, damaged, with the description 'Little Bo-Peep fell fast asleep’ ... most probably designed by Walter Crane and decorated in the Morris & Co. workshops". )

Dull, maybe, but it is possible to have too much of snazzy mirrors, you know.
    Come On You Hatters!