Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore crawls 2019

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Norwich was done in 2012 which leaves Ipswich (not very good?) and Cambridge (on the list), unless we include Essex as East Anglia too; Chelmsford is on the list.
    Ipswich may be OK, although I had a particularly dodgy couple of hours there on Saturday...

Norwich was done in 2012
    ... by a group consisting of three members, prompted by PaulOfHorsham who bought a train ticket and said "anyone else fancy it?" - see this thread for details. It's not classed as an "official" PuG crawl. I think Norwich has previously figured in a poll but didn't garner many votes. It's a great city for beer but it's hard to get to.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ... by a group consisting of three members, prompted by PaulOfHorsham who bought a train ticket and said "anyone else fancy it?" - see this thread for details. It's not classed as an "official" PuG crawl. I think Norwich has previously figured in a poll but didn't garner many votes. It's a great city for beer but it's hard to get to.
    The same as Winchester, only done with four members. Norwich interests me, but as will says, a pig to get to for most.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The same as Winchester, only done with four members. Norwich interests me, but as will says, a pig to get to for most.
    It's also a large sprawling city with promising looking pubs spread all over the place. There also seems to be quite a tangled web of buses. In recent years, I think I've only been to one non Spoons and didn't think much of that.

The trains at Norwich use stock that is so ancient you could be excused for thinking it was a heritage line.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

The trains at Norwich use stock that is so ancient you could be excused for thinking it was a heritage line.
    I guess we'll be getting them in the "Northern Powerhouse" some time soon then

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's also a large sprawling city with promising looking pubs spread all over the place. There also seems to be quite a tangled web of buses. In recent years, I think I've only been to one non Spoons and didn't think much of that.

I was in Norwich in February for the Camra winter ales beer festival at St Andrews Church. On my second day I did a 10 pub crawl (no reviews as yet because I've only just rediscovered my notebook, which I had mislaid):
    The Jubilee
    Frank's Bar
    Woolpack Yard
    Kings Head
    Lord Rosebery
    The Duke of Wellington
    The Plasterers Arms
    The Ribs Of Beef
    The Murderers
    The Rose Inn

Probably rather more walking than you'd be happy to do, I admit. Also there are several pretty decent pubs that I didn't do on this circuit but which would probably feature on a "must visit" list for Norwich, and a tighter circuit could be produced, I should think.

Norwich is inescapably out on a limb transport-wise, though I don't recall the vintage carriages you mention...
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Please don't give that numpty Grayling any ideas!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Real Ale Drinker

We did get our brand new 30 year old trains a couple of years ago so we are a bit spoilt.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Norwich is inescapably out on a limb transport-wise, though I don't recall the vintage carriages you mention...
    I'll answer this in the Train Company thread as it's more appropriate.

I'm not arguing against Cambridge being included but I was surprised to see that it's roughly level with Northampton. When I go there I get a train from Tottenham Hale a couple of miles away so it seems local.