Ads not shown when logged in
Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

Forget high stools, I was in a pub in Brixton recently that had bean bags - what's that all about?

Lawd ..What next ?...Birthing Pools ? Sensory Deprivation Chambers ? May be there is a niche market ?

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Piped commercial radio.This annoyance often occurs at lunchtime when pubs can be quiet,and in order to inject some form of life to the premises the local FM station is played over the speakers.This is acceptable when music is being played at background levels but is hideous when ever the station broadcasts adverts featuring such products or services like blackhead remover,no win-no fee lawyers or the local garden furniture centre.Even worse was a recent incident when a radio phone in with Jeremy Vine was blared around an otherwise pleasent pub,why ? Maybe I should just sign up for the grumpy bigrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Maybe I should just sign up for the grumpy bigrade.
    Welcome aboard, the bus is getting quite full.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

On the whole, we opt for no music. When quiet though (under 6 customers) I'll normally ask for radio 3 or classic fm to be put on. Apart from being inoffensive compared to radio 1 and recently radio 2, apparently it increases the amount of money people spend, according to the far too regular surveys reports and whatnot.

As long as it's inoffensive, and gets switched off when there's a bit of banter in the air, I couldn't care less. It's one of the things JDW has got right - your more likely to offend people with music so just don't have it.
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    Forget high stools, I was in a pub in Brixton recently that had bean bags - what's that all about?
    Just when you were sure it couldn't get any worse!

By the by, a cautionary tale about sofas and tables in, or in this case, out of, pubs. A pub local to me, which shall remain nameless, had two really expensive leather ones, plus a nice low table. Sunday afternoon a party of about twenty arrives in half a dozen assorted vans. Two credit cards are produced from an extensive selection and left behind the bar.
    Meals are ordered, despite about a two hour wait till the kitchen reopened.
    An hour or so later the place is getting packed and the van-party ask if they can take the sofas outside and sit in the sun.
    With the bar and food tab already running at close to three hundred quid the landlord smiles happily and sez 'course you can, lads. Later,with the kitchen about to deliver, our hero goes outside.
    I 'spect you can guess the rest. We all thought it was funny, even the cops..........
    Sorry about the drifting thread, I'll bring it back on course I'm in the no-music camp meself, but I love the high chairs and tables. But then, I'm in me second or third childhood

Ps The credit cards were stolen and no one has seen hair or hide of the furniture since..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Former Pubs Galore Coder

That is a scary scary story, classic piece of work though.

High stools, I don't mind them if coupled with high tables, definitely better than sofas in a pub.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The Grapes in Oxford has bench seats opposite the bar has high as bar stools , i struggle and im well over 6 foot
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Why do they in some Pub Gardens have those Tables that have a bench attached each side If you Sit on one end and your on the heavy side like me it tilts up and your Beer ends up in your lap which I have done on several occasions. It don't look good getting on the Bus with a Big Beer stain down the front of ones Trousers.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Why do they in some Pub Gardens have those Tables that have a bench attached each side If you Sit on one end and your on the heavy side like me it tilts up and your Beer ends up in your lap which I have done on several occasions. It don't look good getting on the Bus with a Big Beer stain down the front of ones Trousers.
    These things are just lethal. For some reason a couple of times I have had people knock their drinks at me on them whilst making wild hand gestures in conversations as well.