Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Micro Pub

The list has been updated yet again today with new ones in Billericay, Burslem, Ashford (Kent) and Market Harborough making a total of 95. Can they get to 100 by year end? I've added the Billericay one and will try and get there next week.

Default Then there were 100

The micropub association have announced the 100th outlet, the Lanes in Dover. The number has near enough doubled this year. The story is here and the updated list is here.

The growth in these places has become exponential in the last two years, I reckon 2015 will see at least another 50 open.

Default and another in Nottingham

‘Slightly larger’ micro-pub opens in Nottingham city centre:

The first micro-pub, The Barrel Drop, has opened in Nottingham city centre, occupying a site in Hurts Yard. It offers 11 cask ales from around the country – and describes itself as “slightly larger” than the normal micro-pub. Chris Farman, who is originally from Scotland, is the owner of the pub and opened it after visiting Nottingham to see friends and spotting “a gap in the market”. “It’s about creating somewhere that’s nice and relaxed,” he said. “It’s niche – it’s a beer festival in your front room. That’s what we want to achieve. People can come in on their own or with friends, and chat and relax. It seems to be working – the feedback has been really positive, people say it’s what Nottingham has needed and it’s been very positive. We’ve been extremely busy since it opened. We will always have a local ale on and the rest will be from all around the UK – we want to give people as wide a variety as possible so we’ll have different styles and strengths on and people can try different breweries.” Farman has been working in the industry since he was 18 and has spent the last ten years working for a national beer company. He added: “Real ale has always fascinated me. I didn’t want to be with a big company any more so decided to set up an independent. We have decided to go for a traditional cask bar because we are slightly larger than the normal micropub. Usually micro pubs are out of town.”

There's also a new one in Middlesbrough (god knows it needs it although that makes 4 in the god forsaken hole) not listed on our site or I think the association one.

I heard a story that there will be 5000 micro pubs within five years - watch this space.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ‘Slightly larger’ micro-pub opens in Nottingham city centre:

The first micro-pub, The Barrel Drop, has opened in Nottingham city centre, occupying a site in Hurts Yard. It offers 11 cask ales from around the country – and describes itself as “slightly larger” than the normal micro-pub. Chris Farman, who is originally from Scotland, is the owner of the pub and opened it after visiting Nottingham to see friends and spotting “a gap in the market”. “It’s about creating somewhere that’s nice and relaxed,” he said. “It’s niche – it’s a beer festival in your front room. That’s what we want to achieve. People can come in on their own or with friends, and chat and relax. It seems to be working – the feedback has been really positive, people say it’s what Nottingham has needed and it’s been very positive. We’ve been extremely busy since it opened. We will always have a local ale on and the rest will be from all around the UK – we want to give people as wide a variety as possible so we’ll have different styles and strengths on and people can try different breweries.” Farman has been working in the industry since he was 18 and has spent the last ten years working for a national beer company. He added: “Real ale has always fascinated me. I didn’t want to be with a big company any more so decided to set up an independent. We have decided to go for a traditional cask bar because we are slightly larger than the normal micropub. Usually micro pubs are out of town.”

There's also a new one in Middlesbrough (god knows it needs it although that makes 4 in the god forsaken hole) not listed on our site or I think the association one.

I heard a story that there will be 5000 micro pubs within five years - watch this space.
    If he has gone for a traditional cask bar and is larger than the usual micro is it not just a small pub.?

Default First Update of the Association List for 2015

The list has been updated with new venues in Strood, Bournemouth and Daventry. The Bournemouth one has already been added and reviewed by a fan as has the Daventry one.
    The Broken Drum at Blackfen near Welling is hoping to open at Easter but it isn't certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The list has been updated with new venues in Strood, Bournemouth and Daventry. The Bournemouth one has already been added and reviewed by a fan as has the Daventry one.
    The Broken Drum at Blackfen near Welling is hoping to open at Easter but it isn't certain.
    I'm a fan in as much as Early Doors is a fine addition to Daventry, a town notoriously poor for decent beer. I'm surprised that The Rugby Tap Room hasn't been added as they've been open since early December and are, I believe, a member.

Good news for the Midlands though with recent micropub openings in Warwick, Stratford, Kenilworth, Rugby, Market Harborough and Daventry. Many of those towns without a great selection of real ale pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    I'm a fan in as much as Early Doors is a fine addition to Daventry, a town notoriously poor for decent beer. I'm surprised that The Rugby Tap Room hasn't been added as they've been open since early December and are, I believe, a member.

Good news for the Midlands though with recent micropub openings in Warwick, Stratford, Kenilworth, Rugby, Market Harborough and Daventry. Many of those towns without a great selection of real ale pubs.
    It costs £30.00 a year to get Recognised Micropub Member Status which really just means that the pub appears on their list and they get a certificate. It costs jut £10.00 a year to gain access to the forums. Maybe a few think that it's just not worth it and it does seem poor value.
    This place is very much a micropub to me and by far the cheapest I've been to but isn't on the list.

i notice it now says "mainly serves cask ales" http://micropubassociation.co.uk/#/m...015/4564894644
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It costs £30.00 a year to get Recognised Micropub Member Status which really just means that the pub appears on their list and they get a certificate. It costs jut £10.00 a year to gain access to the forums. Maybe a few think that it's just not worth it and it does seem poor value.
    This place is very much a micropub to me and by far the cheapest I've been to but isn't on the list.
    Is it just me or does it seem like there is the opportunity to create the 'Pubs Galore Micropub' list?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem like there is the opportunity to create the 'Pubs Galore Micropub' list?
    Strangely enough, I was going through the association's list when you posted. I've added six that were missing from PuG, so they should all be on our database pretty soon. (Although there are still a couple described as details pending, on the association's site).
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.