Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore crawls 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Lancaster is really just as much a trek as Newcastle or Durham.
    Not really, certainly for those travelling from the South to the North 'via London', with the typical journey time to Lancaster being competitive with many cities further south at 2'25" (direct). For comparison:
    • Durham - 2'55" (direct)
    • Newcastle - 3'05" (direct)

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Not really, certainly for those travelling from the South to the North 'via London', with the typical journey time to Lancaster being competitive with many cities further south at 2'25" (direct). For comparison:
    • Durham - 2'55" (direct)
    • Newcastle - 3'05" (direct)
    Yes that non-stop blast to Warrington BQ certainly speeds it up. I was thinking more of those who have to use X Country or other services.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    North of a line from roughly Aberystwyth to the Wash:-

Burton upon Trent, Newark, Preston, Chesterfield, Beverley, Bolton, Leeds to Todmorden railway (Bradford, Halifax, Sowerby Bridge, Hebden Bridge, Tod'), Halifax, Harrogate, Southport, Stafford.

I'm assuming Lancaster, Darlington, Stockton and Middlesbrough are too difficult travel wise, ditto any places off the rail network.
    Darlington has direct trains from quite a lot of places. Stockton (using Thornaby station) and Middlesbrough less so but each have ten or more options each. The main problem with the latter two though are most of the better options are pretty tiny - I would say micropub but they play music...

Surely Tod to Bradford inclusive is too much? I would have chosen just Sowerby Bridge and Hebden Bridge. It might be easier to get a bus between the two.
    I have done Halifax, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden all by train from Wales with a Camra branch. It was a very good crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Leeds to Todmorden railway (Bradford, Halifax, Sowerby Bridge, Hebden Bridge, Tod')
    This is a nice idea. Two or three pubs in each? It could work.
    Come On You Hatters!

... no sign of an apology or an honest admission as to why they watered it down.
    I think it was that they thought that a lot of potential customers were put off by 4.8% and might be more receptive to the same beer at 4.5% If they'd known how much it was going to piss you off, I'm sure they'd have had second thoughts.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I have done Halifax, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden all by train from Wales with a Camra branch. It was a very good crawl.
    Yes, but a flipping long way from the south - 3 hours plus each way.

This Space For Hire

Widening the field a bit, I made a brief stop at Wigan last year and came across a few good pubs. Anyone local know if there are enough to make a crawl viable?

Places that I haven't been to for years include Preston, Wakefield and Warrington - any thoughts?

I did go to Darlington this year and my impression was that there are a limited number of good pubs.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I did go to Darlington this year and my impression was that there are a limited number of good pubs.
    I'd agree with that, it's a handy place as a base and has an impressive Rail Station but that's about it.

Default Preston is a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Widening the field a bit, I made a brief stop at Wigan last year and came across a few good pubs. Anyone local know if there are enough to make a crawl viable?

Places that I haven't been to for years include Preston, Wakefield and Warrington - any thoughts?

Your impression of Darlington matches my impression of the Three Ws mentioned by you. Maybe five or six in each.

Preston is pretty good, but there's quite a long way between pubs. I was there in August with a crew from Beer and Pubs Forum - see this thread: my post on 13 August has itinerary and walking distances, to save you reading the whole thing. Their suggested lunch stop in the Wellington was pretty awful, despite being in the Good Beer Guide, so in the interest of research I also visited Hogarths (cheap beer but good condition), the Princess Alice, the Wellfield and the Plug & Taps microbar (standing room only at tea time). My idea of the best of Preston based on this visit would be as follows:

Continental
    Old Vic
    Hogarths
    Old Blue Bell
    Guild Ale House
    Moorbrook
    Vinyl Tap
    Market Tap
    Black Horse
    Plug & Taps

Others that may be worth a try: The Orchard, Plau, The Northern Way or even the (no longer Mad) Ferret. Any more, anyone?
    Come On You Hatters!