Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pubs Old & New

Default Pubs Old & New

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Some of you will be pleased to know that my keeping-busy-during-the-lockdown experiment to look at one beer-related story in more detail than previously done here (or almost anywhere else, so far as I know) was already coming to an end.

With two of the last six aspects planned (i.e. the former Guinness hop farms at Bodiam and the Hadlow maltings) already covered, I hope that forbearance will be shown by those who may wish to avert their eyes for the last four items in order that the 'narrative arc' may be completed.

However, I think the idea of looking at some facet of the history of beer or pubs in more detail is a good one, so why doesn't somebody else give it a go? Breweries and brewing? Malt and maltings? Pub architecture and architects? Listed pubs? Community pubs? Pub rock? Pub signs? Beer bottle labels? Beer mats? The possibilities are almost endless.
    I would but I have recurring trouble uploading photos which would make things a little boring if it was text only.

example:

The King William IV is a typical Edwardian building but the name suggests the pub opened between 1830 and 1837, this is also the time when a lot of beerhouses were opening, the pub was definitely open in 1837 and being run by John Richardson, incidentely in 1851 the landlord was one Michael Theakston. It's a common name hereabouts so there's no reason to think he was closely related to the brewing family.

The stained glass windows are notable, I suspect the WR means West Riding but I've been unable to track down a brewery using that as a trade name pre-WW1. The pub is currently rented by "Nick Stafford's" Hambleton Ales as their brewery tap.

Just to the side and behind is a former industrial building now used as a bar, it may have been associated with malting as John Richardson is also listed as a maltster. The area to the right of this, visible in the photo as a road going uphill and a carpark of builder's vans, was a row of terraced houses between the white gable end and the edge of the pub on the extreme left, somewhere in the middle was the Oddfellows Arms.

Just round the corner is Westgate a street that once had five trading pubs plus a temperance hotel at one time, it now has one open pub, the Black Swan. From the corner, where there was another pub called The Black Horse which became the Co-Op and is now a carpet shop, we climb a gentle hill passing the White Swan to the right, almost next door was the Blue Bell and opposite the Slip Inn. Both are long closed but the pub buildings remain. The Slip Inn was the building with the bay window and street light where the pub sign used to be.

Further up the hill stood the Green Dragon, the site now occupied by the shop with the blue windows and the Alexandra which was where the building on the right distance with the fancy balustrade now stands. The Alexandra was formerly the Coach & Horses but in common with a number of British pubs was renamed in 1863 to celebrate the marriage of the Prince of Wales to Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Both pubs were lost in a road widening scheme of the early 20th century, this is a theme we will return to, the original building frontage was where the bin and railings are on the left.
    Last edited by oldboots; 03-06-2020 at 12:19.

Default Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I would but I have recurring trouble uploading photos which would make things a little boring if it was text only.
    I've had a lot of issues with uploading photographs to the forum over the years, but this seems to be at least partially explained by how different formats are handled in different ways.

For example, when I try adding a .jpg file it normally seems just to show as a link? And do .jpeg files behave in exactly the same way? There is also a way of inserting a large image into the text, and I've done that myself in the past, but now can't remember how (age...). Perhaps that was as a .bmp file?

I have now settled on .png files which seem to reliably load as clickable thumbnails that can expand if you want to take a proper look.

However, does anybody really understand how images are handled by the forum software?

[QUOTE=oldboots;109545The King William IV is a typical Edwardian building but the name suggests the pub opened between 1830 and 1837, this is also the time when a lot of beerhouses were opening, the pub was definitely open in 1837 and being run by John Richardson, incidentely in 1851 the landlord was one Michael Theakston. It's a common name hereabouts so there's no reason to think he was closely related to the brewing family.

The stained glass windows are notable, I suspect the WR means West Riding but I've been unable to track down a brewery using that as a trade name pre-WW1. The pub is currently rented by "Nick Stafford's" Hambleton Ales as their brewery tap.[/QUOTE]

I presume this is the pub you're referring to: https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/29382/?

If so, the WhatPub entry mentions West Riding Brewery, but no further details given.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 03-06-2020 at 13:25.
    Come On You Hatters!

The stained glass windows are notable, I suspect the WR means West Riding but I've been unable to track down a brewery using that as a trade name pre-WW1.
    With the supposed brewery being so elusive, could WR simply stand for William Rex?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    With the supposed brewery being so elusive, could WR simply stand for William Rex?
    Entirely possible if a little odd, it might be the initials of William Richardson who was landlord in 1891 although by 1901 it was a John Collier. My dating could be out and the building could easily be 1890s rather than Edwardian.

This Space For Hire

The King William IV is a typical Edwardian building but the name suggests the pub opened between 1830 and 1837
    1830 to 1837 is Georgian, 1837 to 1901 is Victorian and 1901 to 1952?/53? is Edwardian.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Would that be William I (the Conqueror) or William III (of Orange)?

Would this be the same company?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Would this be the same company?
    Nope far too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    1830 to 1837 is Georgian, 1837 to 1901 is Victorian and 1901 to 1952?/53? is Edwardian.
    I'd say it goes:
    1714-1830 George I - George IV = Georgian
    1830-1837 William IV sometimes counted as Georgian
    1837-1901 Victorian
    1901-1910 Edward VII = Edwardian

Complicated by
    1714-1840 House of Hanover
    1840-1917 House of Saxe- Coburg - Gotha
    1917 - present House of Windsor

or of course
    1895-1910 Ars Nouveau
    1925-1939 Art Deco

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post

Would that be William I (the Conqueror) or William III (of Orange)?
    Known as the King Billy locally so Wiiliam of Orange.
    Last edited by oldboots; 03-06-2020 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I've had a lot of issues with uploading photographs to the forum over the years, but this seems to be at least partially explained by how different formats are handled in different ways.

For example, when I try adding a .jpg file it normally seems just to show as a link? And do .jpeg files behave in exactly the same way? There is also a way of inserting a large image into the text, and I've done that myself in the past, but now can't remember how (age...). Perhaps that was as a .bmp file?

I have now settled on .png files which seem to reliably load as clickable thumbnails that can expand if you want to take a proper look.

However, does anybody really understand how images are handled by the forum software?
    Having tried various combinations of image types and browsers I believe the problem lies with Adobe Flash and how it works or doesn't with various browsers.