Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Scouse Blog

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Default The Scouse Blog

I was wondering whether or not to set up an actual blog thread for this trip but a couple of guys at work were asking so I thought I should. I think they just want to keep an eye on my travelling companion Meister to make sure he gets back safely for all that work he needs to do next week.

The Scouse tour has started and we are just leaving Euston in the luxury of First Class, as befits an undertaking of this magnitude. The other benefit is that Virgin provides free Wi-Fi so the magic box (technical name the Samsung NC10 Notebook) works without the highlighter pen thingy. It remains to be seen how well it works once we start moving.

Myself and the Meister will be scoping out a few Liverpool pubs tonight ready for the manic day tomorrow when the Mancs and Scousers arrive. I've sent a text to the Happy Frenchman, of Folkestone Blog fame, as there's always a chance he could make a surprise appearance.

So, first post completed, whether it's the last probably depends on how much beer I drink.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

First beer of the day courtesy of Virgin, a can of Lancaster Bomber for me and a bottle of Cusquena Lager for Meister, it says it's imported beer, God knows from where.

If I needed proof that this is a Liverpool bound train the recent guard announcement has just proved it. Deriding some unknown passenger for bringing a bike on the train without a booking (presumably it's not taking up a seat) he's threatened that unless the owner claims it and stores it properly within 10 minutes he's going to "stop the train and throw it off". Friendly lot these Scousers.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Cusquena Lager Paddington bear washes his marmalade sandwiches down with it
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Cusquena Lager Paddington bear washes his marmalade sandwiches down with it
    Works just as well with Cheese & Tomato according to Meister, although he has just eschewed the dodgy lager and joined me in the Bomber.

Just stopped at Stafford, no sign of any flying bikes.

Spritzer Swallower

So you haven't made it to the greatest city in the Northern hemisphere and you've already started to slag the indigenous people off – somehow me thinks this doesn’t bode well for the rest of the weekend. Snowy Pearson will be pacing the floor trying to think of quick put me downs for you, although I suspect by the time he’s thought of them you’ll be back on a train heading south.
    Talking of trains - this is becoming to be a bit of a regular thing travelling 1st class – has the pay structure changed that much over there!
    Meister’s already drinking bottled beer, no doubt with a slice of fruit sticking out of the top of the bottle, you’ll fit right in at home up here mate, the local girls do like a man with a bit of class.
    And so you only have 1 and a bit more hours before you hit Lime Street. I know that you're men of culture so, before you drink too much, have a look around the city, take in the sights, do the 3 Graces etc et as tomorrow will be a blur of a memory. Either that or there’s a couple of micro breweries that you could explore – don’t ask me the names or location as I can’t remember and anyway isn’t that what Google’s for.
    So until tomorrow. Adios
    Last edited by Lons; 15-10-2010 at 12:25.

Spritzer Swallower

What are you plans for today?

I have a challenge for you.

There is no photo on Pubs Galore of the very ornate gents' toilets in the Philharmonic in Hope Street. Do you think you can photograph (preferably without any customers in view) and upload?
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by Lons View Post
    What are you plans for today?
    I thought I'd book into a hotel, go out for a few beers and try to avoid you. Two out of three ain't bad

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I have a challenge for you.

There is no photo on Pubs Galore of the very ornate gents' toilets in the Philharmonic in Hope Street. Do you think you can photograph (preferably without any customers in view) and upload?
    Meister did have his camera with him yesterday but not sure if he got a photo. Will attempt to get one over the next few days.

Having trouble with the highlighter pen thingy at the moment, hence why there was no late night post last night. To coin a phrase the lights are on but nobody's home. Either we're in a mobile deadspot or the hotel are deliberately blocking it so that I use their £5 a day service. Still, needs must and I now have up until midday to post as much rubbish as I can.

Right, what's happened since my last post, well we arrived in Liverpool, I knew we had because it was raining. Fortunately we were both able to book into our hotels straight away so by 2pm we were out looking for our first beer, and we found it in the Dispensary, the wonderful Titanic Chocolate & Vanilla Stout . Picked up a copy of the Liverpool CAMRA Pubs Passport leaflet and we were on our way. Next to the Grapes for some Liverpool Organic Brewery beers and a good chat with the guv'nor who confirmed all the good advice I've had on here.

Next to Roscoes Head and I couldn't resist the Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild, although Meister frowned on me ordering a half, however much I tried too explain the quality vs. quantity arguement. Here we got a call from, earlier poster, Lons who by chance had just finished an important business meeting near the Fly in the Loaf just up the road (honest Hodge) and we went to meet him. From here it was a short walk to the Philharmonic and pints of Orkney Dark Island before that run out and we went on to something dark from Skinners.

Back towards the station passing the Liverpool School of English - apparently Liverpool is the only city in the UK that feels the need to teach it's population how to speak proper English. I can't help thinking though that there must be people all over the world now speaking English with a thick Scouse accent. I think I might sign Meister up actually, so far his attempts to replicate the local accent have taken us from the West Country to Geordie via New Delhi. I think he's settled on something around the mid-Glamorgan area

Thought we should make a little sortie to the Head of Steam to check out tomorrow's meeting place. Not greatly impressed but did have a decent Arizona Gold from Phoenix. I imagine the reason they have a code for the Gents is to stop people nicking the air fresheners - it's not working

Said farewell to Lons who promised to be back tomorrow after despatching the family off to Ireland - there must be easier ways to get a pass Lons. Meister and I then head off in the rain in search of food. Asked a cab driver about a decent curry house and he directed us to a local one - that was closed, so much for the Liverpool Knowledge. We eventually found one only to discover that they didn't serve alcohol - not a great business plan in the middle of Liverpool but we'd probably had enough by then anyway.

Meister treated me to a curry and in return I bought us a couple of single malts back at his hotel the Adelphi (why does everyone laugh when he says he staying there) before heading back to my hotel and trying to fire up the magic box to bring you an update. Having failed miserably in that task I've been fretting all night about my adoring public awaiting news so thought I'd give you an early morning treat.

I see that, barring any more injunctions, Liverpool FC have just got rid of one bunch of Yanks in favour of another lot so I think the locals should be happy. I don't imagine Phil (Snowy/Bluenose Twat from 15 Blokes in Hamburg * fame) will be though, supporting the blue half of Liverpool I'm sure he was hoping they'd go into administration and get docked 9 points.

That's all for now, duty done and conscience assuaged it's time for a couple of hours kip before a hearty breakfast and meeting up with Meister for a cultural tour of the city before the drinking starts again.

* If you did read through the Hamburg report you'll meet some of it's stars, Andy, Blue Phil and JC, later, along with Lons unless I can manage to avoid him this time.
    Last edited by Millay; 16-10-2010 at 04:09.