Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: What should be included on PG

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

[QUOTE=AlanH;41807PuG has also now grown into a multi-interest pub site, eg. The historical interest in closed pubs. These old reviews and photos are amongst my favourite topics.

Different areas of the country have different needs (and problems). I was concerned by the comment that pubs with "no content" are deleted on request. This could mean large areas and towns are wiped off the pub map because no one has been there yet! Eg. Ammanford in Dyfed could lose 22 of it's 26 pubs. I believe these 'pub list' areas should be retained for someone to eventually get there to review them.[/QUOTE]

I agree a pub with photo & no review should remain, for reasons given above, plus picture worth a thousand words point, I try and get the surrounding area in if possible, thus if dwarfed bysurroundings as here .etc, or where you could while away some time jhttp://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13620/just looking

Regarding shop photo etc where a pub once was for historical reasons I think should be included, I intend to post the Tesco that will replace my local, once it is built that is
    I drink to make others more interesting

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I agree, Farway - nothing wrong with photos that tell the story of a pub - even if it was a former site - i add them.

AlanH, i don't think that anyone was suggesting removing pubs with pictures and no reviews, just clubs or those places that 'test' the boundaries of what pubs are!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I was concerned by the comment that pubs with "no content" are deleted on request. This could mean large areas and towns are wiped off the pub map because no one has been there yet!
    I don't think Conrad meant they would be deleted because they have no content, simply that he would have no qualms about deleting a content-less pub listing if requested (e.g. hotel with no public bar). If there was content, you would have to give some valid reasons (e.g. research backed up by website URLs)
    Come On You Hatters!

If the pubs with no reviews were deleted they would never get reviewed because we wouldn't know they exist or where they are.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I cannot understand the logic of taking a photo and not doing a review of sorts, even if to say it was closed at the time of visit. That was my problem at Newquay and Weston when I visited places listed on here without reviews, and I found it was a total waste of time (to me anyway).
    ...but if there's no review at all, someone's got to "waste their time" going in to a pub that, it may turn out, no one else will want to go in.

I've taken about eight times as many photos as I've done reviews, and the simple reason is that I wouldn't get around that many pubs to photograph them if I also stopped for a drink. Anyway, it's sometimes impossible to have a drink if it is the wrong time of a) day, b) week or c) year. I got lucky here, but if every closed pub invited me in, I'd struggle to get back on my bike and on to the next.

I've also come across listings where there's a review but no photo. Presumably that can be explained by no equipment, no light, too drunk or just plain forgot. I tend to look on photo-less pubs as an opportunity or a challenge - how can I get there and take a photo? If it turns out also to be open and I can manage a drink too, I'll do a review. I'm less bothered about review-less pubs, though I'm making more of an effort to get round to some in Sheffield this year.
    Come On You Hatters!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

but what about the clubs, Sheff? do you think they should be on?
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Not if they charge for or limit entry or make you buy a meal, not even those ones with the east European ladies, usually from Poland .

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ...but if there's no review at all, someone's got to "waste their time" going in to a pub .....
    Going into a pub a waste of time? surely some mistake here.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I don't feel very strongly about this, but I do tend to agree with the suggestion made earlier that if someone has been into a club and had a drink there without having to pay an entry fee or jump through any hoops, then they should submit it and review it. By the same token, if a place is listed that turns out to have entry restrictions, anyone who has found it difficult or costly to get in to have a drink can ask for it to be deleted. I don't envisage this resulting in lots of extra work for Conrad and Dave, unless clubs change their policies or start enforcing previously unenforced rules.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I don't feel very strongly about this, but I do tend to agree with the suggestion made earlier that if someone has been into a club and had a drink there without having to pay an entry fee or jump through any hoops, then they should submit it and review it. By the same token, if a place is listed that turns out to have entry restrictions, anyone who has found it difficult or costly to get in to have a drink can ask for it to be deleted. I don't envisage this resulting in lots of extra work for Conrad and Dave, unless clubs change their policies or start enforcing previously unenforced rules.
    I’m not so sure that anywhere that has had reviews should be deleted. If a pub changes to a private club surely a note in the review section that says such is better than deleting the place. In the interest of history lots of pubs that are now shops, petrol garages and places of worship have been added and I feel that deleting venues with reviews is a step in the wrong direction. For someone to know that a place is a fee paying club surely they must have tried to gain access, so why not just report this fact if there are previous reviews?
    I do like the idea of any new clubs to be added must come with a review. The nearest beer outlet to my home is a CIU working men’s club that I’m not allowed to step foot in. I’m certainly not going to take a picture of it and advertise it on this site as somewhere for visitors to my area to visit.
    Last edited by Strongers; 16-02-2012 at 21:01.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I’m not so sure that anywhere that has had reviews should be deleted. If a pub changes to a private club surely a note in the review section that says such is better than deleting the place.
    It certainly shouldn't be deleted if it used to be a pub. But marking it as closed would probably be appropriate.