Ads not shown when logged in
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Reviewing standards

I am going to take the slightly odd step of reporting myself for my review of the Cross Keys in Covent Garden - see here:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22084/

Now, whilst what I said at the end of the review is true, it is not the sort of positive comment that Conrad would prefer to see.

So should it be left on as words of caution to others or be removed?

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Mr Gazebo I bow to your greater knowledge of what young folk like drinking,I should have remembered that Felinfoel brewed Double Dragon.In my days that brewery's output was known as "feeling foul"
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 04-01-2011 at 16:13. Reason: Should have quote Evil Gazebos reply

I'll stay on me own

Hi rpadam,

I think it should be left on, i have been in this pub but if i went in again i would remember your comments and look to see if they were still doing this which i think is wrong.
    When i go into a pub i like to see a fresh pint poured for me.

It's what you saw so it must be fair comment, and thanks for the warning if I went in there I'd check to make sure I didn't get the same treatment.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I am going to take the slightly odd step of reporting myself for my review of the Cross Keys in Covent Garden - see here:

Now, whilst what I said at the end of the review is true, it is not the sort of positive comment that Conrad would prefer to see.

I think it is fair comment, you posted what you saw, the landlord may not like it, but it was an honest observation and serves as a word of caution to others

I know the Cross Keys very well, and I have to say that I haven't noticed this happening, but I'm often in at noon (i.e. before any residue has had time to accrue in the slops tray). I'm likely to be in again this week so will keep my beady ratty eyes on what is going on. Thanks for the heads up rp. Like others I also feel you should leave it on - you are simply reporting what you observed. But the pub still has a lot going for it, and I live in hope that your experience was an aberration. I may report back when I've visited again.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43734/

The latest one here is a good example of when a review isn't actually much use, but is it bad enough to scrub...?
    Nah, I think when taken alongside your review they actually compliment each other quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post

I think it is fine. If you reporting something that was illegal in the same matter of fact way I would suggest that you should make that report to the relevant authority. But as it is I think it is fair review comment.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I'm not sure if I am allowed to do this, and I am sure I will get my wrist slapped if I am not, but I have put below 2 reviews I made on the other side from visits to this pub - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31818/

"This is a great looking pub, and it is usually full so something must be right. I was wary about going back as I had been served from glasses on the drip tray that had been standing for a while last time I was there, but my drink was served from the pump, although from where I was standing I could see a glass on one of the trays."

gillhalfpint - 3 Jan 2008 15:07

"We called in last Friday, as we always do when in Oxford, and yes, there was a good range of beers available. I was disturbed to see that they were pouring beer from glasses standing on the drip trays to serve to customers though. When I heard someone say they had received beer this way, I went to watch from the side of the bar and asked staff why they were doing it. I was told the cellar was not cold enough so the beer had to settle. They said it only stood for 10 minutes and if not served to customers it was thrown away. Weird. Wonder how CAMRA would take the practice. I did have beer served straight from the pump on the back bar and it was in excellent condition."

gillhalfpint - 15 Aug 2007 10:48

I did put comments on a stubbie to the relevant CAMRA but never heard anything back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I should have remembered that Felinfoel brewed Double Dragon.In my days that brewery's output was known as "feeling foul"
    As a regular visitor to Wales I can confirm that the description above still stands - it's bloody awful stuff that only sells because of that sodding dragon motif (the Welsh Bombardier, perhaps?).

I'm also following the under neck slops tray/glass with interest as this happened to me (for the first time!) in the Grapes in London a few weeks back and I've been limbering up to fire off both barrels in a review fairly soon. It's not necessarily the fact it's in the slops that's the main concern for me; it's the lack of respect. I'm paying good money for my pint and I want it fresh and as close to perfection as the brewer would demand.

You wouldn't see pubs doing this to wine drinkers, would you? Pouring warm wine from one glass into another and topping up...
    Last edited by Quinno; 04-01-2011 at 18:01.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I was told the cellar was not cold enough so the beer had to settle. They said it only stood for 10 minutes and if not served to customers it was thrown away. Weird.
    Weird indeed. Sounds like somebody used to work in Macdonald's! Leaving beer around and throwing it away if it's not been sold in 10 minutes? Doesn't ring true to me, but maybe I'm being a bit cynical.