Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Micro Pub

This Space For Hire

Al10000, I suspect a few of these places will be certifiably locals only, shut at 9pm, and then become smoke-ins....

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I know of two of these new type of pubs one in Nottingham and one in Derby,i have not been in one yet but i have my doubts about them.

Will they become more like a private members club where only the well imformed about beer are allowed in,and normal drinkers like myself will be frowned upon when going into one of these places because i dont know what type of hops is in a certain drink.

I hope i am wrong,but i do think there are too many beer snobs about these days and this sort of establishment will be ideal for them to tell everbody in the room about this beer or that beer,that would bore me to tears.
    Some very fair points there.Looking at the Micropub Association website their

RULE NUMBER 1..........NO LAGER *

does reminds me of a famous Monty Python sketch about life in Australia.

Too close an association with CAMRA hardliners may make a micropub feel exclusive when any decent pub should always feel inclusive ,especially to strangers who just pitch up.

For a micropub to be sustainable ,it may well need to cater well beyond friends and family of the entrepreneur who set it up,hence why I was extolling the virtues of The Treacle Tap,in Macc.

Hopefully as more of these micropubs get onto Pubsgalore and get reviewed,a better picture may emerge of which ones are worth a visit.I have a soft spot for this kind of new venture and hope as a group they dont fall into the traps you mention,Al.

* OK i was using a bit of license there
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 20-01-2013 at 18:03.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I'll be in Derby next month, so I'll see if I can get to the Little Chester Ale House.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I'll be in Derby next month, so I'll see if I can get to the Little Chester Ale House.
    If you do get to the Little Chester Ale House Rob,when on the way back into town try the Smithfield,i have heard that it has reopened,i was going to give it a try in a few weeks time.
    I have not passed or been near to it to comfirm wether it is open or still closed.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

on the way back into town try the Smithfield,i have heard that it has reopened
    That's potentially very good news.On my one and only trip to Derby ,I thought this pub was the best on the crawl.A bit rough and ready but their beer............. mmmmmmmmm.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Ne...ail/story.html

It should have opened last month according to this piece.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Had the opportunity to visit this one http://www.thebrewhousebolton.co.uk/ on Tuesday when I was in the area visiting a customer.

Nice comfortable place, although it may not qualify as a Brew Pub now that brewing has moved up the road to a larger micro set up (Dunscar Bridge Brewery) on a nearby business park. But the original copper is still visible behind glass from the main bar.
    Beers were pleasant , but the ones on were all a bit samey being light and fruity, and could have done with something with a bit more body on a day when snow was laying all around..
    Anyway, will post its inaugural review on PuG when I get a chance.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

I'll stay on me own

Well i did my first micro pub today,the Doctors Orders in Nottingham.

No bar, no music,no tv,so not really my sort of place to have a drink in,there were five real ales on all from micro brewerys with another five waiting to come on,the beer i had was very nice, but the barman questioned me when i asked for a porter,probably because i did'nt fit in with his usuall crowd and did'nt look like a real ale drinker.

So to sum my micro pub experience,nice beer,no atmosphere,and i felt a bit out of place having a drink in this room.

Well i did my first micro pub today,the Doctors Orders in Nottingham.

No bar, no music,no tv,so not really my sort of place to have a drink in,there were five real ales on all from micro brewerys with another five waiting to come on,the beer i had was very nice, but the barman questioned me when i asked for a porter,probably because i did'nt fit in with his usuall crowd and did'nt look like a real ale drinker.

So to sum my micro pub experience,nice beer,no atmosphere,and i felt a bit out of place having a drink in this room.
    What did the barman question you about?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    What did the barman question you about?
    I asked for a drink of Flipside Rusty Penny,i did'nt know this was a porter but i do like porters,stouts,milds just the same as my normal bitter.

I got the feeling he would'nt have asked any other customers who were in on my visit if they had asked for that beer that it was a porter.

I may be wrong and he could have been trying to be helpfull,but my gut feeling was that he would'nt have asked anybody else.