Ads not shown when logged in
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool PG meet up

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

By an almost cruel twist of fate, I'm going to be accompanying my daughter to Liverpool, on Tuesday, for a university interview. If I had to visit just one pub, with beer the priority, which one would you recommend, bearing in mind we will be arriving by train and carrying a fair bit of stuff?

Ta muchly.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    By an almost cruel twist of fate, I'm going to be accompanying my daughter to Liverpool, on Tuesday, for a university interview. If I had to visit just one pub, with beer the priority, which one would you recommend, bearing in mind we will be arriving by train and carrying a fair bit of stuff?

Ta muchly.
    I would say the Ship & Mitre - quite close to the station and there was certainly plenty of choice with (I think) 14 hand pumps although 4 pumps were off for "refurbishment" when we were there.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I would say the Ship & Mitre - quite close to the station and there was certainly plenty of choice with (I think) 14 hand pumps although 4 pumps were off for "refurbishment" when we were there.
    I'll use that as an excuse to post a picture of some of us in said place on Friday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6842s.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	694  

Ta muchly.
    My money would be on the Fly in the Loaf - just about near enough to Lime St but probably in the wrong direction for the Uni. It would depend which bit of the Uni you're going to of course. The Augustus John is in the middle of the main campus but it's not my idea of a good pub, the Cambridge is close but again not much cop. The Globe or the Ship & Mitre are the closest good pubs to Lime St, you will probably want to avoid Dr Duncans, I wish we had.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

which one would you recommend, bearing in mind we will be arriving by train and carrying a fair bit of stuff?
    If you haven't previously been, I'd say Philharmonic, admittedly 0.6m from Lime St, as opposed to 0.3m to Ship&Mitre.
    The beautiful wood, glass, & mosaic work throughout were really something to behold, and the beers, on Thurs, were Brentwood Blonde, Pontypridd Thai-Bo, Doombar, Thwaites Wainwright, Cairngorn Black Gold, Thornbridge Frank as Apollo and, iirc, two more pumps awaiting change.
    I vaguely recall Roger saying 'what else could they do to earn a 10?', point well-made, but this Meldrew humbug will award a 9.

Or another attractive pub, the Dispensary, 0.4m, but I doubt they'll have any of the extraordinary Hawkshead NZPA left! Others on Thurs were George Wright Marks Mild, Cains Bitter & the despised Blonde Bird, Chocolate Marble, Riverhead Brewsters Blonde, Hawkshead Lakeleand Gold (changed later to NZPA), Oakham Inferno.
    Last edited by trainman; 04-03-2012 at 12:37.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Have to agree with Trainman, go to the Phil first. Then, you have Fly in the Loaf, Roscoe Head and The Dispensary all on the same route back to the station. If you like a good pint of mild, The Dispensary have George Wright Marks Mild, which is on all the time, which is fab.

Just to clarify, that's the Roscoe Head - not to be confused with the Roscoe Arms across from the Dispensary! To get to the Roscoe Head, come out of the Fly in the Loaf, take a right, cross over the first set of lights going down Hardman St, and it's the first side street on the right after the lights.
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 04-03-2012 at 16:48.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Default Liverpool Photos!

Some photos from Mrs Real Ale of last Friday...

I did have captions on these, but they've disappeared for some unknown reason....

No. 1 'Pubs Galore Marketing Strategy'
    No. 2 'Enjoying the beers in Rigbys'
    No. 3 'The whole crew halfway through the day'
    No. 4 'Group photo outside Rigbys'
    No. 5 'Does anyone know this person giving a sermon in Fly in the Loaf?'
    No. 6 'Sampling a few in Fly in the Loaf'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1558.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	696   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1559.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	933.1 KB 
ID:	697   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1560.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1561.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1562.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	700  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1564.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	701  
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 04-03-2012 at 17:44. Reason: Lost me captions!!!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Not sure I'll make any sense of my notes so will have to plan a return. Wonderful city.
    If/when you do, try to plan it in advance and, if midweek, keep megatrain in mind - travel on most distant dates (out 17Apr, back 18Apr) currently available £3 out, £1 back, and that's on Virgin trains. These types of deal seem restricted to Mon-Thurs, but may help in one direction, if not both.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Can i have a list of the pubs you did - i will have to head up alone (or with quinno and a&h) and do them!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Can i have a list of the pubs you did - i will have to head up alone (or with quinno and a&h) and do them!
    I (think I) did the Thomas Rigby, The Grapes (Mathew Street), the Welkin ('Spoons), Baltic Fleet, Bridewell, Swan, Dispensary, Roscoe Head, Fly In The Loaf, Philharmonic, Belvedere, Ye Crack, Fall Well ('Spoons), Dr Duncans, Ship & Mitre, Vernon Arms, Poste House, Lion, Lady Of Mann, Hole In Ye Wall, the White Star and the Grapes (Roscoe Street). The 2 Spoons were more for food purposes so they can be dropped. The Lady of Mann was just convenience as I had already been to Thomas Rigby's the day before and the LOM shares the same courtyard - it's OK but certainly not worth dropping any the big names for. There were a couple I did twice for whatever reason was felt best at the time!