Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Blog

I'll stay on me own

Default Pub Blog

I started a pub crawling blog just before Christmas called The Never Ending Pub Crawl,it is to be a blog of my many pub crawls over the years
    with photos of pubs done,i did have lots of help in getting it going as i am not clever enough to do it,but all text and pictures are mine.

I was not going to talk about it on here until i really got going,but today i looked at Tandelmans blog and he is talking about a post on my blog
    so i was well pleased.

A quick way to see all three posts on the blog is to type never into the google address bar.

I would like any feedback good or bad on my first few posts on this new blog.

Cheers Alan
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

I enjoyed your blog, Al, and admire your stamina. I went to Oldham back in the mid 70s, but don't really remember the pubs. The highlight beer was Holts in (I think) Heaton Park.Keep up the good work.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Very good work I say! Contemporaneously means at the same or similar time.
    I thought I had visited Oldham on the way back from Hebden Bridge to Manchester Victoria but there doesn't seem to be a station there so I may have got that completely wrong. Those trips always ended up on the Milk Train back to London but those services disappeared years ago.

F*****g brilliant Al. Hats of to you, It's nowhere near where I am from but pub life and history is great reading and very interesting which ever neck of the woods you hail from. Hope to read more in the future.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    F*****g brilliant Al. Hats of to you, It's nowhere near where I am from but pub life and history is great reading and very interesting which ever neck of the woods you hail from. Hope to read more in the future.
    I have bookmarked it so I don't forget about it in the future.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Alan thats really interesting ,especially the photos of your Oldham crawl back in the 80's.It made me wonder how many of the pubs you visited with your wife that day are still standing today ? Very atmospheric photos ,well done for documenting and photographing with such diligence.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

http://neverendingpubcrawl.blogspot.co.uk/

This is the sort of thing friends/family/people/any landlord/customer who wandered why you were in their pub told my mate and I that we should've done from when we started in 1996-1999 then eventually continued like Blitzkrieg from 2011 of expanding outwards from Bristol since the internet grew to what it is and was becoming in the early noughties, but sadly I'm to lazy to write a review and my mate who isn't and more articulate put the onus on me to do so.

However thankfully there was another like minded bunch of Bristolians doing what I should've so it saved me the hassle.

http://avonpacket.co.uk/index.htm

Al, I dof my cap to you on the detail and retention of information. I assume it will to grow capturing all the years you've got documented as well of the new ones?
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 09-01-2016 at 00:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I thought I had visited Oldham on the way back from Hebden Bridge to Manchester Victoria but there doesn't seem to be a station there so I may have got that completely wrong.
    Oldham has always had a station on the Manchester-Oldham-Rochdale line but it closed a few years ago to be changed to the now open Manchester-Oldham-Rochdale Metrolink tram line.

Great to read Al. I got into pub history too late to save my old pub books and photos from the late '60's to the '80's. How sorry I am now!

I will follow your blog as it expands with special interest to the past and present pubs in the Manchester area.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Oldham has always had a station on the Manchester-Oldham-Rochdale line but it closed a few years ago to be changed to the now open Manchester-Oldham-Rochdale Metrolink tram line.
    In fact there were two. Oldham Mumps & Oldham Werneth. Effectively at either end of the town.

The Werneth stop doesn't exist anymore but there are tramstops at Mumps, Oldham Central & Oldham King Street.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 09-01-2016 at 11:47.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas