Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stowford Press

Default Stowford Press

Is Stowford Press taking over the world?

Everywhere I go now there is no Strongbow and the cider option is Stowford Press. This isn't just in Sussex, I've noticed it up in the smoke the few times I have been up.

By the way, I'm not complaining!!!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

It cerainly seems to be getting a lot more popular. Traditionally Bristol has been a Blackthorn stronghold with virtually every pub stocking it at one time, but ever since Taunton Cider was bought by Matthew Clark (about 15 years ago maybe?) it's been on a slow steady decline. Rumour has it that the first thing MC did was change the receipe to make it sweeter and therefore appeal (apparently) more to other parts of the country, and they've tinkered with it several times since.

This has not got down well locally, and other brands, predominantly Stowford Press and Thatcher's Gold, have stepped in to fill the gap and now Blackthorn is a comparitive rarity.

So, in answer to your question, Yes, it probably is. But I wanted to explain that down here it's not really displacing Strongbow as that never had much of as hold anyway. It will be good to see the back of it though, as much as I like going away and trying different pubs, the fact that I could only ever get Strongbow in them was always a disappointment. I remember a visit to York a few years ago was particulalry disappointing as that was what seemed to be on in every single pub. For me it's just far too sweet, just as bad as Olde English and Woodpecker.

Ashton Press is my current favourite though if you ever come across that. Made by Thatcher's for Butcombe, although probably not widely available outside of these parts.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Loads of it round here , then again we are only an hour or so up the road from Westons , it seems to be the default cider for real ale pubs
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I'm not a cider drinker, so I don't actively seek out what's available. However, my impression of most local pubs is that Strongbow is the default 'T-bar' offering. However, many of the better real ale pubs have rotating guest ciders, with Weston's 'Old Rosie' a particular favourite.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Definitely a straight battle betweem Stowford press and Thatchers Gold down in South Somerset, with Ashton Press a creditable third. Strongbow doesn't suit this area. I know of a pub that struggled to sell it in 2 months at £2 a pint. They switched to Thatchers Gold and that is comparitively flying out in 10 days. Oh, and they have stowford as well!
    Hardly any Blackthorn that I can recall.
    (wasn't it always Dry Blackthorn?)

This thread's piqued my curiosity now. I'll do a bit of research next time I'm out and about. I might even try a pint of something....
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

The only pub I know of in London that sells Dry Blackthorn cider is The Express Tavern in Brentford. I used to hate going there with my work colleagues when six or seven years ago as I used to drink Strongbow all the time, hence the user name Strongers which was given to me by the barman in Gertie Browns in Hampstead that is now long closed. My taste buds have changed as I’ve aged as I cannot stand the stuff now. I’m not that keen on Old Rosie either after five pints and a liquid botty burp in the Duke of Hamilton in Hampstead, the first and last time I’ve entered a pub with underpants on and left without… Probably too much information!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Probably too much information!
    A tad!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Addlestones also seemed to be in ascendancy over last few years. A search shows it to be part of Gaymers.
    Ale pubs do tend to go for a real cider, rather than a genre equivalent of Fosters.
    Florence Arms in Southsea is a good venue to head for if you are an apple or pear -head, and very friendly.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post
    (wasn't it always Dry Blackthorn?)
    Yes, it did used to be many years ago. I'm not sure when the "Dry" got dropped, presumably sometime after Matthew Clark got their grubby mits on it and started it making it sweeter. Although apparently at one time there were two versions of it, a comparaitively dry one for the west country, and a slightly sweeter one for everywhere else.

Addlestones does seem to be cropping up a bit more often as well, although that was also Matthew Clark as they owned Gaymers. They sold it a year or so ago to the Magners lot.