Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Ales

Default Common Ales

Had a discussion down the pub on common ales which I thought would throw open to wider audience to compare it regionally. We had a few thoughts on whatt some of the regional nominations will be si it will be interesting to see what you all come out with.

Taking an imaginary freehouse with say, 4 hand pumps, what are the 4 worst ales that they could put on purely on the basis that they are found regularly everywhere else in your area? In London, I would have to say it would probably be Youngs Ordinary, Bombardier, London Pride and Greene King IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Had a discussion down the pub on common ales which I thought would throw open to wider audience to compare it regionally. We had a few thoughts on whatt some of the regional nominations will be si it will be interesting to see what you all come out with.

Taking an imaginary freehouse with say, 4 hand pumps, what are the 4 worst ales that they could put on purely on the basis that they are found regularly everywhere else in your area? In London, I would have to say it would probably be Youngs Ordinary, Bombardier, London Pride and Greene King IPA.
    For the Salisbury area I would only nominate 2 locals beers, Ringwood Best and Badger Best. We do see Landlord and Courage Best a fair bit, both of which I avoid if there's a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    For the Salisbury area I would only nominate 2 locals beers, Ringwood Best and Badger Best. We do see Landlord and Courage Best a fair bit, both of which I avoid if there's a choice.
    I wouldn't turn my nose up at Landlord being in every pub near me!!!!

Bristol was always Courage Best and Bass,but in recent years it seems a choice from Bath Gem,Sharps Doombar and Wells Bombardier.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post

Bristol was always Courage Best and Bass,but in recent years it seems a choice from Bath Gem,Sharps Doombar and Wells Bombardier.
    Just to add Butcombe to that list, seems to be in any pub not doing the Doombar.

Yep, you've got it almost spot on for most London venues, with the possible exception of Old Speckled Hen replacing one of Youngs or CW Bombadier.
    And if you replace the Youngs with Draft Bass, then you have my local Free House...
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Real Ale Drinker

Taking an imaginary freehouse with say, 4 hand pumps, what are the 4 worst ales that they could put on purely on the basis that they are found regularly everywhere else in your area?
    In my neck of the woods it would be Greene King IPA and Old Speckled Hen, Marstons Pedigree and Brakspear bitter.
    Strange really, years ago when it was brewed in Henley you couldn't get Brakspear in Oxford for love nor money. Now it's brewed by Wychwood it's as common as anything (and not as good !!). Brakspear special used to be my favourite beer.
    Last edited by Grailhunter; 21-04-2010 at 14:25. Reason: Can't spell Brakspear

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

what are the 4 worst ales that they could put on purely on the basis that they are found regularly everywhere else in your area?
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    In West Yorkshire we're probably talking John Smith's, Tetley's, Black Sheep Bitter and Landlord. Although, as AEM suggests, my heart never sinks when I see that green pump clip.Had a session on Landlord last Thursday that re-confirmed how good it is, when it's on form.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

what are the 4 worst ales that they could put on purely on the basis that they are found regularly everywhere else in your area?
    North Yorks isn't much different to West Yorks. In order of the amount of depression their appearance engenders, most depressing first:-

Tetleys Cask
    John Smiths Cask
    Theakstons Best
    Black Sheep Bitter

Ironically each brewer makes much better beers (except John Smiths now they've stopped Magnet), as examples; Tetley Mild, Theakstons XB and OP, Black Sheep Ale and Riggwelter. Taylors Landlord is pretty freely available but my heart only sinks when I taste a bad pint of it. Even Greene King makes Strong Suffolk and St Edmunds.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Round here it is Fullers London Pride & HSB, with a smattering of Ringwood "guesting"

Not that I mind as the LP & HSB are decent pints in the main

In general we don't have the same problem around us. GK IPA gets a look in of course but
    the most common beers around Rochdale are probably both from Phoenix, Navvy & Arizona and I don't mind a pint of either.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas