Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheffield Crawl July 2019

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Tickets from London still available at £15ew (or £9.90 with snr railcard), these via Donny outbound but direct return. Not much difference in travel time.
    Hillsborough Hotel is an option for accom, not by station but easy on the tram, with a choice of draught 'liveners' with your breakfast...

Thats a bugger, l was in the Antelope yesterday between 5.30 and 7.00 pm.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Thats a bugger, l was in the Antelope yesterday between 5.30 and 7.00 pm.
    I was there about 4.15 but didn't stop long. It took me longer to get through central London than I'd anticipated - what with traffic lights, direction finding and trying not to get killed.

Also had a ten minute stop at the Hope in Carshalton, then caught the train to Dorking to reach my destination in Holmbury St Mary (there's a youth hostel there).
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Will's off to Kent for all the new Micro pubs in the Cinque ports by the end of this week. So I think we may need to wait a few weeks for a proposed running list..
    Did I say "all" the micropubs? I hope not...

I managed eight in one day of cycling around Herne Bay (Bouncy Barrel, Copper Pottle, Parkerville and Firkin Frog), then train to Margate and a quick sprint towards Ramsgate to photograph a couple of pubs for the site, then back for Fez and Ales of the Unexpected and into Westgate on Sea for the Bake & Alehouse before catching the train back to Herne Bay and the Butchers Arms in Herne on my way back into Canterbury. Cycled about 35 miles and drank eight halves. All good, with the exception of the Firkin Frog. Reviews will appear when I have time.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Can someone who has both the knowledge and the authority please move all the posts in this thread from #8 onwards to the original Summer Crawl 2019 thread?

Thanks
    Please can someone either change the title of this thread (just "Sheffield Crawl in July", rather than "Poll for date of Sheffield...") or move all postings from #8 to a new thread.

Thanks
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I know it's still 11 weeks away but just wondering if Will has come up with a rough plan for the Friday crawl ?

Just a few rough doodles.

See attached document. No timings yet on any of the embryo crawl routes, and I haven't fully linked the pubs back to the site yet either. I would appreciate feedback: there will probably be pubs that people want to do which I haven't included, or pubs that I have included that no one can see the point of going to. Or pubs that I've left until Saturday that people who are only here for Friday particularly want to do. So please speak up!

I'm planning on doing some updated reviews between now and June/July, as things are changing all the time.

Once I've incorporated feedback and the reviews are up to date, I'll do a revised crawl route (or routes!) with approximate timings and details of buses and trams.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Come On You Hatters!

I was there about 4.15 but didn't stop long. It took me longer to get through central London than I'd anticipated - what with traffic lights, direction finding and trying not to get killed.

Also had a ten minute stop at the Hope in Carshalton, then caught the train to Dorking to reach my destination in Holmbury St Mary (there's a youth hostel there).
    That's a fair bit of biking.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

See attached document. No timings yet on any of the embryo crawl routes, and I haven't fully linked the pubs back to the site yet either. I would appreciate feedback: there will probably be pubs that people want to do which I haven't included, or pubs that I have included that no one can see the point of going to. Or pubs that I've left until Saturday that people who are only here for Friday particularly want to do. So please speak up!

I'm planning on doing some updated reviews between now and June/July, as things are changing all the time.

Once I've incorporated feedback and the reviews are up to date, I'll do a revised crawl route (or routes!) with approximate timings and details of buses and trams.
    Thanks a lot Will,that's really helpful and just goes to show how many excellent venues there are in Sheffield.The rough plan for the Friday is also helpful as I may have some friends popping along somewhere en route.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

That's a really useful document, many thanks for that. I've got a question I'm sure you can answer, I had the impression that Abbeydale had more than just the twos tied houses. Was this once the case? I've been to the Devonshire Cat twice and it had completely passed me by that it was an Abbeydale tied house!
    I was toying with the idea of getting a bus or train out to Dronfield mainly for the Coach & Horses. I'm beginning to think it may be better going there from Chesterfield or even from a stay in Derby or Nottingham. Any thoughts?
    It looks like the Bath House will be my starting point for the main event. My adopted Spoons will be the Bankers Draft as it's close to where I'm staying. The one I'd thought about revisiting is the Francis Newton but it would have to fit in with something else.

B;limey! They've got rid of a lot of the Youth Hostels in Snowdonia. Looking at the prices they aren't that much cheaper than advance bookings at Travelodge or Premier Inn but there aren't any of those near the start of paths up Snowdon!