Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday to - Soup

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Happy Birthday to - Soup

Well it has been a year since what we think is the first post by Soup Dragon. Certainly not our longest serving member (although I think our most prolific forumite), but he was the first of what was to become an exodus from the last gasps of the BITE forum.

Can I just say 1st Birthday and thank you for all your sterling contributions to the site, when we do finally meet up the first round is on me (and I will be under the table after that anyway).

I think I would win the prize for most dormant contributor. Accordng to my audit record I joined the site on 28 July 2006 (at 1.37pm!) but did sod all until I uploaded a load of photos on 27 December 2009, nearly 3 and a half years later!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I think I would win the prize for most dormant contributor
    If ever the phrase 'Sleeping Giant' were apt...

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I never understand that, we get loads of members join up and then not contribute. Certainly not moaning, but I hate giving out my email address for fear I get spammed out of existence, so it always bemuses me when people join and don't do anything.

It has been one of the intriguing aspects watching who had dormant accounts and who actually was new to the site, quite a few had accounts, quinno for instance was contributing for a while then gave up, presumably due to the apparent lack of interest over here.

It has been a fantastic year though, the site feels like it is still coming to life and just gets better and better. From my perspective it definitely felt like Soup was the tipping point, and now a year on is proceeding to scare me with his one month challenge. Although saying that you scare me on a weekly basis on the BOTW thread Roger

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Is it a year already - it seems like 3!!!!

It was funny to see last July, the forum posts were 14, this July was 1000+. It shows what can be done with a working site. Most importantly, it is you and Dave that have responded to user needs and took up the banter - for a while last year i actually had more posts than you! It has been fun and great to have watched the site develop.
    Last edited by Soup Dragon; 26-08-2010 at 15:18.
    MILD:

I have a feeling the site was Regulars Reunited when I first signed up and I probably thought I would be able to locate a few lost souls from the pubs of my dim and distant past. It obviously didn't work. I did occasionally refer to PG when looking for pubs and sorting out crawls but never contributed until BITE finally convinced me that, despite my hardest efforts, I wasn't moronic enough to keep up with their ever spiralling standards.

It's got me thinking what else I have signed up for that I've done nothing with.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I have a feeling the site was Regulars Reunited when I first signed up and I probably thought I would be able to locate a few lost souls from the pubs of my dim and distant past.
    Actually a very fair point, I kind of forget that was our origin, I can certainly see why people would sign up for that and do nothing. Possibly it is an aspect of the site we should try and make available again.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Is it a year already - it seems like 3!!!!
    And 2 of those are the last 28 days!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Possibly it is an aspect of the site we should try and make available again.
    Maybe, but Friends RU now have various 'places', incl pubs, where people can search for erstwhile contacts. Rival sites for that sort of thing may be 'facing' the wind? And, I don't know but, does that faceybook thingy have a search mechanism?

Or was the idea to provide a chatroom attachment to PG pubs, ie 'Does anyone remember...?' Hmm, that might grow legs?
    Last edited by trainman; 26-08-2010 at 17:42. Reason: reflection...

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Not a fan of chat rooms, prefer the forums. Chat rooms are very reliant on all being on at the same time, also I like having the conversations for evidence, I mean posterity.

I have to admit if we did it again it would have to be through Facebook as an application to stand a chance.