Ads not shown when logged in
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: How Will Pubs Open?

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    We've just returned from a week in the Norf, and could but not fail to notice that pubs are taking COVID regulations much more seriously than they are in the Sarf, or at least my part of Kent. Four of the seven pubs visited had some form of measures,from spacing of tables, table service, meeting at the door,to the full temperature testing routine.
    Probably depends where you are and the type of pub, some of the pub themed restaurants still take it very seriously; lots of drinking pubs don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Personally, I was appreciative of this, as it hasn't gone away,immunity seems to be declining, and we havn't had our booster yet.
    Agreed, I recently caught Covid, almost certainly in one or other of two busy and ill-ventilated pubs where I attended meetings. Being double jabbed probably helped to keep the symptoms to a low level. I try to maintain social distancing and mask up on public transport and in shops but usually I'm in the minority.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    We can protect ourselves and others by getting vaccinated. We can also protect ourselves by habitually wearing face coverings so that it becomes normal behaviour and so protects everyone to a certain extent.
    The worry is that it does become normal behaviour - forever.

I've been on the Tube virtually every day since non-essential travel was permitted on 6th July last year. I reckon only about 50% of people are wearing masks (including T f L staff, who aren't wearing exemption badges), though this may depend on the time of day, young people piling out of crowded pubs in Soho (unmasked) then going on the Tube, masked, most not realising that face coverings offer the wearer little protection, protection lying in not spluttering on other people; I wonder how many people would retain their masks if they knew they were protecting not them, but those around them? Are they really that selfless?
    Then there's the tragedy of all those blue surgical masks with their plastic liners, tossed by the millions each day into landfill and watercourses, ending up round the necks of seabirds.
    I live in a block of flats on a long road where most amenities are available. It was normal to go to the shops and bump into a resident and have a quick chat; this no longer happens as people don't recognise one another; seeing a person's facial expression is what in part, makes us human. In the developed world, we have a pandemic of the unvaccinated, with serious cases and deaths on the rise amongst those too complacent to get their booster, mine to be administered on Friday. I had a flu jab three days ago and on arriving at my surgery, a receptionist told me I had to wear a mask; I told her (and the other two receptionists) that they too then should be wearing masks and lead by example - how ironic; and the sight a few months back of a transit van full of unmasked police. I feel very sorry for staff working in places such as McDonald's, who may have to wear masks until retirement.

I noticed on a recent trip to London that masks are more in use on transport there than on trains up north. Use of masks on buses and trams in Wearing a face covering on TFL vehicles either above or below ground is a condition of carriage, but I suspect it is rarely enforced. Nevertheless, I would estimate 90% compliance on tube trains.
    I'm surprised to hear this - declining from 75% to about 25% I reckon over the last few months from my experience.

We can also protect ourselves by habitually wearing face coverings so that it becomes normal behaviour and so protects everyone to a certain extent.
    I really can't see this happening long-term in the typically contrary general population in the UK, and I can't wait to see the back of the things (especially as I rely on lip reading to some extent).

However, despite being fully jabbed and soon getting my booster, I remain cautious and wear a facemask in certain situations (e.g. crowded public transport) with the Office for National Statistics estimating prevalence in England at 1 in 50 (i.e. as high as its ever been).

We all need an exit strategy...

"we are closing 20 of what would have been our busiest sites indefinitely.’"
    https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/20/major...port-15796614/
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I remain cautious and wear a facemask in certain situations (e.g. crowded public transport)
    I think masks are typically there to stop the spread, not protect the wearer. Think about spitting - easy without a mask, impossible when wearing one. I haven't worn a mask since Freedom Day, am triple-jabbed and don't see why I should wear a mask to protect those who refuse to get vaccinated; Covid is endemic, so it's not going anywhere soon; next month it'll be another variant and so it goes on...
    Last edited by Tris39; 20-12-2021 at 18:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I think masks are typically there to stop the spread, not protect the wearer. Think about spitting - easy without a mask, impossible when wearing one. I haven't worn a mask since Freedom Day, am triple-jabbed and don't see why I should wear a mask to protect those who refuse to get vaccinated; Covid is endemic, so it's not going anywhere soon; next month it'll be another variant and so it goes on...
    And winter after winter after........
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I'm quietly confident that the current overblown hysteria - It's going to double every day for weeks! Tens of thousands in hospital! Thousands will die of COVID! (but we'll stealth in the word with as well because people don't understand the difference) etc - will prove to be a load of old baloney. Once that becomes clearer come the end of January we can finally get back to seeing sense, living with the damned thing and being proportionate in responding to future events.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I'm quietly confident that the current overblown hysteria - It's going to double every day for weeks! Tens of thousands in hospital! Thousands will die of COVID! (but we'll stealth in the word with as well because people don't understand the difference) etc - will prove to be a load of old baloney. Once that becomes clearer come the end of January we can finally get back to seeing sense, living with the damned thing and being proportionate in responding to future events.
    With regard to health issues, this is now a pandemic of the unvaccinated. This is going to continue forever, with the vaccinated catching the virus, though hopefully not getting ill. This in turn will lead to further variants and so the cycle continues. There is no solution to the problem, but we can protect the NHS (which may as well read protect those suffering from other illnesses and accidents) by making vaccination compulsory, or at least adopting the Germanic option of mandatory rather than compulsory vaccination, by essentially making non-essential shops and the hospitality industry out of bounds.
    What I love is that people can go to nightclubs where people have to scream into each others faces to be heard over the loud music, then they go home on public transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I am triple-jabbed and don't see why I should wear a mask to protect those who refuse to get vaccinated; Covid is endemic, so it's not going anywhere soon; next month it'll be another variant and so it goes on...
    *SIGH!* Vaccines are never 100% protective. These Covid vaccines have varying degrees of protection, including making potentially severe infection (resulting in hospitalisation, intensive care, and possibly even death) rare but not impossible. So your intention of punishing non-vaccinated people by making whatever virus particles you may be capable of spreading freely available to a whole shop, bus or railway carriage is potentially misdirected. In the event that you are contagious, you will also be sharing your virus particles with people who have been vaccinated and people who are wearing masks, quite possibly with severe or even fatal consequences, since neither are 100% effective. Is this something that you are comfortable with?

If everyone acted like you, no one would wear a mask, cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze considerately into their elbow. Your refusal to wear a mask encourages others not to wear one, and makes those who continue to wear one wonder why they still bother.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

*SIGH!* Vaccines are never 100% protective. These Covid vaccines have varying degrees of protection, including making potentially severe infection (resulting in hospitalisation, intensive care, and possibly even death) rare but not impossible. So your intention of punishing non-vaccinated people by making whatever virus particles you may be capable of spreading freely available to a whole shop, bus or railway carriage is potentially misdirected. In the event that you are contagious, you will also be sharing your virus particles with people who have been vaccinated and people who are wearing masks, quite possibly with severe or even fatal consequences, since neither are 100% effective. Is this something that you are comfortable with?

If everyone acted like you, no one would wear a mask, cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze considerately into their elbow. Your refusal to wear a mask encourages others not to wear one, and makes those who continue to wear one wonder why they still bother.
    SIGH indeed. We all know that vaccines are not 100% effective, but they are at least effective to some degree. If everyone of the 5,000,000 people in the UK who are eligible but haven't had the vaccine represent a far greater danger to themselves, others and valuable NHS resources; they are the selfish ones. If this situation is going to end, then there will have to be far greater levels of vaccination and also for those in parts of the world where funds for the acquisition of vaccines are in short supply; this is a global problem. But unless vaccine uptake increases, this situation is going to continue forever. Why should those who have abided by the rules (as I did, religiously until 19th July and going without any social integration whatsoever from 13th March until 28th August last year) be locked up/masked to protect those who refuse to get vaccinated? And what about the livelihoods created by shops and the hospitality industry which will be lost to continued lockdowns, restrictions which could be vastly reduced if not abolished if everyone were to get their jabs? With vaccines in use for over a year now, the feeble argument that these are 'new' or 'untested' doesn't even hold water any more, if indeed it ever did.
    Last edited by Tris39; 20-12-2021 at 19:45.