Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First match

Real Ale Drinker

Default First match

For the footyheads out there. What was your first match attended?

Mine was Liverpool v Stoke, 1976. 5-3.

My dad used to take me to both Liverpool and Everton games but this is the first one I can remember.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

First Crystal Palace game was 3rd September 1969 v Cardiff City (League Cup 2nd round) 3-1

However first ever football game would have been sometime in the early sixties when a few of us kids would climb through a hole in the fence at Epsom & Ewell FC when they were in the Athenian League.No one seemed to mind and crowds were tiny
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 15-04-2020 at 14:53.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

First football would have been Swinton vs Salford at the old Station Road.

1999 before I got to see Man Utd, when I got tickets for the FA Cup Final as part of the treble.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Although I'm much more of a rugby follower these days, as a boy I was quite a Leeds United fan. The first match I went to was unforgettable, as it nearly ended in a riot. It was the controversial game against West Brom, on 17th April 1971, when ref Ray Tinkler awarded WBA a second goal, having waved play on when the linesman had flagged for offside. The Leeds players and Don Revie went absolutely batshit, with some fans invading the pitch. Even as an 11 year old I was aware of the incredible tension inside the ground. The result effectively ended Leeds title hopes that year.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 15-04-2020 at 15:41.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I only went to a handful of games in my childhood - my Dad lost interest in football in the late '70's so I contented myself in following my team from afar until I was old enough to pay my own way. I did get to see Bournemouth and England play a few times as a kid though, the first of which was a home fixture between Bournemouth and Sheffield Utd in January 1988 during our brief three-season spell in the old Second Division under Harry Redknapp. I went with five or six friends, one of whom was celebrating his 10th birthday, and I remember his Dad had bought tickets in the Main Stand, which is notoriously full of old codgers and very tame as a result - my abiding memory is of one such old boy telling us to shut up because we were chanting too much, which is the most 'Main Stand' thing ever!! In a sign of things to come for my Bournemouth match-going future, we lost the game 2-1.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Although I'm much more of a rugby follower these days, as a boy I was quite a Leeds United fan. The first match I went to was unforgettable, as it nearly ended in a riot. It was the controversial game against West Brom, on 17th April 1971, when ref Ray Tinkler awarded WBA a second goal, having waved play on when the linesman had flagged for offside. The Leeds players and Don Revie went absolutely batshit, with some fans invading the pitch. Even as an 11 year old I was aware of the incredible tension inside the ground. The result effectively ended Leeds title hopes that year.
    That's quite an introduction to the beautiful game
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Footy: Wigan 0-1 Liverpool, 11th February 2006.
    Rugby league: St Helens 30-22 Warrington, 15th February 2008.

First match was Aldershot F.C V Doncaster Rovers ,April 1972 at 11 years old , a 3-0 win for the Shots. When I was a bit older in the late 70s to mid 80s most of my football spectating was at Stamford Bridge
    with Chelsea yo-yoing between divs 1 and 2. I don't go any more, late 80's onwards first marriage then pubs got in the way. I've stuck with pubs.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Ooooh...can't remember who they were playing or what the score was, but it was Arsenal, obviously at the old Highbury stadium.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    That's quite an introduction to the beautiful game
    Indeed. Subsequent games seemed pretty tame by comparison.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.