Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How was it for you?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Today I made my first visit since lockdown to the Fat Cat. There's a one-way system of sorts (enter by front door, leave by garden gate) and there's a list of names and contact details to add to, just inside the front door. (Should have washed my hands after using pen & paper but forgot, and nobody reminded me.) All beers bar one were from the Kelham Island Brewery, I think five of them plus a guest from Ashover. No sign of the normal regular Timothy Taylor Landlord - presumably they're not so quick off the mark in Keighley.

My pint of Kelham Island Best Bitter was in superb nick, so I had a second. When it's on song, this is one of the best beers of its type in the whole country, bitter but well balanced, but one of the reasons I don't (didn't) go in the Fat Cat as often as some of the other pubs in my walk-to area is that the beer can vary quite a bit from week to week, or from brew to brew perhaps, and then I tend to find there's not much else to my taste and end up on the Landlord. Anyway, today was a good one, so it was good to be back.
    Not only using the same pen, but Data Protection contravention too.

I suspect pubs will get a lot busier from next weekend when these stupid mask rules come in for shops.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Not only using the same pen, but Data Protection contravention too.

I suspect pubs will get a lot busier from next weekend when these stupid mask rules come in for shops.
    Indeed, but I think pubs are gradually getting busier anyway. I would love to know just how people are supposed to use masks in pubs, let alone restaurants. And mask use is abandoned in pubs, what point will they serve in shops?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Indeed, but I think pubs are gradually getting busier anyway. I would love to know just how people are supposed to use masks in pubs, let alone restaurants. And mask use is abandoned in pubs, what point will they serve in shops?
    They'll serve to ruin high street independent shops, which is part of the agenda.

A visit to the Cutlers Arms in Rotherham today for a few pints of Chantry beers with a couple of mates. Still just £2.50 a pint, and the tram/train is free now that I've got my bus pass. A good few people in just after 2.30pm opening time, apropriately distanced but having a bit of banter too. What a good pub this is, and Iron & Steel is an excellent bitter. It's good to be back.
    Come On You Hatters!

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Been to a lot more pubs this week, mostly in and around Southport, and the COVID regulations are very much a mixed bag. Some asking for contact details, some not. Some enforcing hand sanitiser, some not. Some doing table service, some not. All, though, have been sensible and relaxed, in fact the pubs feel friendlier than they ever have been before. Fingers crossed for the next few months.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

My first pub visit yesterday, I had a pint at the Claret and then met two others at the nearby Cricketers for a few Harveys. Both took contact details and had hand sanitiser. It was ok but, aside from needing to provide them with business to stay afloat, it did leave me wondering what's the point? The Crick had an attempt at one-way foot flow and all the doors open making me regret not having a jumper, it bounced down in London yesterday. All in all, I'm not sure whether to revert to the Garden Arms until a dangerous two-dayer in Nottingham/Beeston next month...

This Space For Hire

I wonder how long it will be before many bar staff figure out how to do table service. Any waiter worth their salt will be able to reel off what beers are on, what sorts of crisps there are, and so on. Basic stuff but it seems to beyond many. To be told they have, say, Hook Norton isn't helpful if they don't know which one. A couple of times a request for a packet of cheese and onion has required a trip back inside to check if there are any.

I'm not asking for consummate professionalism, eg memorising tasting notes for each product line. But it does show up the amateurish nature of much of the Trade.

Or maybe the low expectations of us punters.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 27-07-2020 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I wonder how long it will be before many bar staff figure out how to do table service. Any waiter worth their salt will be able to reel off what beers are on, what sorts of crisps there are, and so on. Basic stuff but it seems to beyond many. To be told they have, say, Hook Norton isn't helpful if they don't know which one. A couple of times a request for a packet of cheese and onion has required a trip back inside to check if there are any.

I'm not asking for consummate professionalism, eg memorising tasting notes for each product line. But it does show up the amateurish nature of much of the Trade.

British bar staff are the ones who say "who's next" when there are two people at the bar, including the person they just served so are you surprised? Peanuts and monkeys comes to mind.

Written notes might defeat them, but something on their phone might work, they're always checking the bloody things when I want serving.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

The pub trade is one of the laziest in existence when it comes to customer service. Hobby horse of mine.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The pub trade is one of the laziest in existence when it comes to customer service. Hobby horse of mine.
    Fair point,I suppose over the years we just get used to it and come to expect it
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson