Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinno's 2016 challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I would very much like to make that option possible but I don't want to make any promises. If I can get 2-3 solid days work on it between Christmas and New Year then it may well be possible.
    That would be good if possible.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I assume that 'Old Red Lion', 'New Red Lion' and 'Red Lion' are all different names as far as you're concerned?.
    Correct

Here's one to ponder (as I work through the list drawing up potential hits):

Lord and Admiral Nelson. Different names, but same person (before you even throw in simple 'The Nelson X' places).

Keep separate or amalgamate...well if we apply the Victoria and Wellington rule it's an amalgamate (amalgamation would see Nelsons high up the list, a lot more than I thought!).
    Last edited by Quinno; 17-12-2015 at 12:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Here's one to ponder (as I work through the list drawing up potential hits):

Lord and Admiral Nelson. Different names, but same person (before you even throw in simple 'The Nelson X' places).

Keep separate or amalgamate...well if we apply the Victoria and Wellington rule it's an amalgamate (amalgamation would see Nelsons high up the list, a lot more than I thought!).
    Same person, seperate name,don't amalgamate as far as I'm concerned.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Wouldn't it just be easier to go in 250 pubs and none have the same name or close variant that you've not been in prior/previously?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Same person, seperate name,don't amalgamate as far as I'm concerned.
    I agree.

If "Old Red Lion" is different from "Red Lion", why is "Lord Nelson" the same as "Admiral Nelson" and "Nelson"?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Wouldn't it just be easier to go in 250 pubs and none have the same name or close variant that you've not been in prior/previously?
    I think the problem is that to find 250 pubs he's not been into before, Quinno has to emerge from the comforts of his home county. Therefore there has to be a fair amount of planning in order to find the required pubs within reasonable distance of a) Berkshire and b) each other.

I'm not sure why there has to be so much tinkering with the "popular names" list, though. It looks as though he's trying to make his task easier by cheating, but that surely can't be the case.

Or can it?
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post

That would be a doddle,
    Go to any large town or city hit the Spoons there,most have unique names and then wait until the evening and do the crap named bars in said town or city.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

This Space For Hire

Once the list is finalised it will be interesting to see how easy this actually could be. I'm sure I could just go back to Birmingham/West Midlands and do a fair whack without batting an eyelid every weekend and say hello to my parents or stay at friends.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I think the problem is that to find 250 pubs he's not been into before, Quinno has to emerge from the comforts of his home county. Therefore there has to be a fair amount of planning in order to find the required pubs within reasonable distance of a) Berkshire and b) each other.

I'm not sure why there has to be so much tinkering with the "popular names" list, though. It looks as though he's trying to make his task easier by cheating, but that surely can't be the case.

Or can it?
    Never!

To be fair, I work with data every day so it's my geeky side coming out.

I should also point out that any amalgamation actually makes my life more difficult, as it could result in another tranche of pubs appearing that have even less name frequency - it would be easier for me to stay schtum!
    Last edited by Quinno; 18-12-2015 at 11:25.