Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 4 Apr 2010)

Well, your worst nightmare is back, I'm broke, bloody, but not bowed. Me cars written off and so is me bank balance. But I do have a good early runner for BotW, Milk Street's Brew Dog 5 AM Saint. I was nearly crying in me empty glass when I got dragged out of the Brewhouse. Early days yet though, there always the Beer Festival.
    By 'eck, it's good to be back among folk who know good pubs and better beer when they see 'em. Cheers lads
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Well, your worst nightmare is back, I'm broke, bloody, but not bowed. Me cars written off and so is me bank balance. But I do have a good early runner for BotW, Milk Street's Brew Dog 5 AM Saint. I was nearly crying in me empty glass when I got dragged out of the Brewhouse. Early days yet though, there always the Beer Festival.
    By 'eck, it's good to be back among folk who know good pubs and better beer when they see 'em. Cheers lads
    Glad to have you back RD , was wondering where you`d got to
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

but hopefully the dog's OK? Welcome back.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Visit to Drapers Peterborough yesterday, and enjoyed Oakham Citra and Grainstore Silly Billy.

BOTW so far Grainstore Silly Billy. Plenty more to try in the next couple of days though.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Had Centurion Ghost from York Brewery (5.4%) at The Bole Bridge. It was outstanding porter and one of best porters I ever had. Very smoky and heavy burnt coffee taste to it. Very pleasing finish. It was so popular that it ran out of barrel in just 6 hours!
    *cough* *cough* Sadly It will be my BOTW as I am suffering from heavy cold. No beers for me this week. Boo Hoo!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    I am suffering from heavy cold.
    Sorry to hear that Hoppy, I hope it doesn't set in like mine did - it lasted for ages, in fact is this my 3rd non-submission of a botw? Scandalous! And now I'm just about ok, but skint.
    I'll go along with Maldenman's hot toddies, honey + lemon (lots) + strong spirit of choice (I found a btl of rum), plus a couple of paracetemol.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Hot toddies, honey + lemon (lots) + strong spirit of choice (I found a btl of rum), plus a couple of paracetemol.
    Is this a thinly veiled suicide note trainman?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Sorry to hear that Hoppy, I hope it doesn't set in like mine did - it lasted for ages, in fact is this my 3rd non-submission of a botw? Scandalous! And now I'm just about ok, but skint.
    I'll go along with Maldenman's hot toddies, honey + lemon (lots) + strong spirit of choice (I found a btl of rum), plus a couple of paracetemol.
    You know it makes sense. Two or three of those will sort any bug out for a few hours at least, minus the parecetemols mind!

I only had one day to record my BOTW thanks to being on call. Out of action now till 7/4. So having tracked down Thornbridge Jaipur, and sampled Cottage Concorde, Thwaites Wainwright and Westerham British Bulldog, I reckon Concorde just shaded it, darkish and full of flavour, 4.6%. The Jaipur in The Coal Hole was ok, but I suspect just the wrong side of being in best condition.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Is this a thinly veiled suicide note trainman?
    If I don't find funds for a proper few ales soon, you may not be far off the mark there ROB!

On that note, I'm going, after tuition, hopefully into the grinding business (knives! you dodgy other-PG ers), but I don't see many customers on here - I can't travel 2 hours with a whetstone to the PG hotbed of West Midlands, Herefordshire, West Country... Mind you, plenty of new missions there, PLUS the elusive Butty Bach, hmmm...

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Of all the beer we had today I marked Digfield March Hare as my BOTW.

May change after Stamford tomorrow as we hope to enjoy a lot at the Green Man fest.