Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockdown 2

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Oh dear, a 10k fine for this pub.
    I did note it was "difficult to leave",but an illegal lock in was not what I meant. .After 25 locks TP and I were hungry and sloped off for a curry at 8.30pm,probably wise.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Oh dear, a 10k fine for this pub.
    Also in the same article, a couple of lines about this pub. Watch them promise to disobey the law, but back down after a friendly word from Staffordshire police. They seem to be "fighting back" for the right reasons, and I have a lot of sympathy with what they were trying to do, but it's so easy for them to be ignored (council, MP) or slapped down (police). Some interesting conversations on their Facebook page, if you have the time and the stomach for it.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    In a way I can understand why. Last time a pub round our way which has a huge grassy area out the back was selling pints to 'takeaway' and of course the punters were going and sitting in the grass. The plod got wise and that was that but I guess there are a few who spoil it for everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Quite so and a pub near me lost its license for exactly that reason. The only additional requirement needs to be "in a sealed container only" then a license to sell alcohol for consumption off the premises will apply equally to any outlet. There is some doubt at present about whither a pub with an off sales license is in the same position as a supermarket or off-license shop and it may be that pubs without an off-sales license may need to apply for one pretty quick.
    Lots of pubs near me have purpose-built front beer patios with no security to keep people out. Locals are going to the nearest off licence then sitting at the patios' picnic tables. The police cruise past and don't do anything...

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Also in the same article, a couple of lines about this pub. Watch them promise to disobey the law, but back down after a friendly word from Staffordshire police. They seem to be "fighting back" for the right reasons, and I have a lot of sympathy with what they were trying to do, but it's so easy for them to be ignored (council, MP) or slapped down (police). Some interesting conversations on their Facebook page, if you have the time and the stomach for it.
    If a fine works, perhaps the pub will rename itself as The Reformed?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Lots of pubs near me have purpose-built front beer patios with no security to keep people out. Locals are going to the nearest off licence then sitting at the patios' picnic tables. The police cruise past and don't do anything...
    The offence is being in the company of more than one person not from your household. What invites a lawyerly discussion is whether the owners of the tables and land upon which they are placed are liable for letting it happen

Would the council be liable if such a meeting took place on its park benches?

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

I'd have thought living in Burnley was enough to depress anyone even without lockdown.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    The offence is being in the company of more than one person not from your household. What invites a lawyerly discussion is whether the owners of the tables and land upon which they are placed are liable for letting it happen

Would the council be liable if such a meeting took place on its park benches?
    Very good points and certainly these people are very definitely not from the same household.

I don't know who would be responsible. If people can't travel, then they can't tend to their property and it's not just open front pub patios that are being used, people are buying drinks and congregating outside pubs on the pavement. The Cat & Mutton, despite having removed its pavement picnic tables, hasn't deactivated its patio heat lamps so people are congregating outside, bathed in a warm orange glow!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I'd have thought living in Burnley was enough to depress anyone even without lockdown.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Very good points and certainly these people are very definitely not from the same household.

I don't know who would be responsible. If people can't travel, then they can't tend to their property and it's not just open front pub patios that are being used, people are buying drinks and congregating outside pubs on the pavement. The Cat & Mutton, despite having removed its pavement picnic tables, hasn't deactivated its patio heat lamps so people are congregating outside, bathed in a warm orange glow!
    Yes indeed, to complicate things further, there are Pavement Licences. Venue's tables, council's land. Assuming they've chained their tables (and patio heaters) down securely enough to stop the local ne-er-do-wells nicking them.

This Space For Hire

The Cow : now has the left-hand window open with a Guinness tap selling to people in 'sealed?' containers - I saw a bloke walking away with a two-litre plastic milk bottle full of the black stuff. I'm not sure if this leaves an aftertaste, perhaps milk stout?