Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cashless card only pubs

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Craft Beer Cabin.

However there are two mitigating factors.
    Firstly talking to the owners this micro opened in August and at the first Palace match they had great takings. There was then a break in to this shop conversion and all the cash was nicked,so they decided relunctantly to go cashless (they inform you of this before pouring any beer).
    Secondly on busy match days,contactless payments are so much quicker than mucking about with cash which allows swifter service behind the bar.
    Indeed. Makes perfect sense: reduces the chance of the individual or business premises being robbed if no-one carries cash any longer; it also seems to greatly speed up service. However, since going contactless my bank statements read like phone directories. Shops will still have to make allowances for cash in the event of a card or card reader failure; I've experienced both recently. Sometimes the WiFi reception doesn't work and I know of one premises (not a pub) where the owner has to go outside or upstairs to wave the reader around in order to get a good signal!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Shops will still have to make allowances for cash in the event of a card or card reader failure. Sometimes the WiFi reception doesn't work and I know of one premises (not a pub) where the owner has to go outside or upstairs to wave the reader around in order to get a good signal!
    Seems odd. They'd normally have a master device connected directly to the phone line where the till is. And do businesses really need to fall back to cash? Would you expect someone to find cash for even a £100 restaurant bill if the technology fails? Should that happen the fallback usually involves phoning for an authorisation code.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Barcadium. Card only. Preston's first steps to hipsterdom

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    It would appear the concept has reached Leeds. Just read an online review (Yorkshire Evening Post) for North Brewing Co Tap Leeds and they are card only.
    Yes this one is a cashless bar. There is a sign behind the bar saying card only

"has asked customers for their views on moving to a "
    https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....ries-1-9632885
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rover View Post
    Yes this one is a cashless bar. There is a sign behind the bar saying card only
    The Wrestlers - now cashless since my last visit just over two years ago.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Access to cash review may stop the spread of card only, may become a legal requirement to take cash if offered, but don't hold your breath as can is kicked down road & eventually into long grass

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/news...to-cash-review
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Access to cash review may stop the spread of card only, may become a legal requirement to take cash if offered, but don't hold your breath as can is kicked down road & eventually into long grass

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/news...to-cash-review
    Sadly even the Access to Cash review is only calling for "suppliers of essential services" to be required to accept cash. While many of us would no doubt put publicans in this category, I doubt this would be generally accepted!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

The other day I was exploring The Star Of The East. Went for contactless payment at the price of £2.10 but my card needed to be 'verified' by insertion into the slot and as if by magic, the price dropped to £2.00. Not sure how this happened.

As mentioned in London Callings review, Craft & Courage is cashless, whereas down the road a bit in Gypsy Hill The Colby Arms Is Cash Only.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields