Ads not shown when logged in
Page 113 of 238 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2371

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I've enjoyed beer tours in Peterborough (several times), Hull and especially Huddersfield, I wouldn't mind quite a few of their pubs round my way, that's for sure.

I've never had a problem with Peterborough and if I remember rightly there are the odd Elggod's pubs tucked away in those sprawling suburbs. For me Huddersfield is one of the top beer venues in England although I preferred the Rat & Ratchet to the Grove! Hull was a whole lot better than I had expected. If you want a rubbish place how about overpricwd Londson?
    Last edited by Aqualung; 03-03-2019 at 08:58.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've never had a problem with Peterborough and if I remember rightly there are the odd Elggod's pubs tucked away in those sprawling suburbs. For me Huddersfield is one of the top beer venues in England although I preferred the Rat & Ratchet to the Grove! Hull was a whole lot better than I had expected. If you want a rubbish place how about overpricwd Londson?
    Overpriced, certainly. But I wouldn't personally go so far as to describe my home town and place of birth as 'rubbish'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Overpriced, certainly.
    Everything's relative - beer in central London may be twice the price than in Jaywick, Shotton or Easterhouse, but that doesn't mean that it's 'overpriced' in the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I wouldn't personally go so far as to describe my home town and place of birth as 'rubbish'.
    I would and have done!

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Everything's relative - beer in central London may be twice the price than in Jaywick, Shotton or Easterhouse, but that doesn't mean that it's 'overpriced' in the circumstances.
    You're right the JDWs in the suburbs are mostly reasonably priced. In central London I'll only go for unlimited JDW coffee unless it's a new outlet when I'll stretch to a solitary pint.

This list is a joke. While the towns 6-10 aren't that great, places like Basildon, Harlow, Holyhead, Blaenau Ffestiniog and Cumbernauld make them look like heaven. Isn't Hull a city? There are a load of places worse than Huddersfield and the others.
    At least Huddersfield has some decent pubs. Wrexham is so crap, it even missed out on the crap list!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    At least Huddersfield has some decent pubs. Wrexham is so crap, it even missed out on the crap list!
    Have you tried Pembroke Dock? It's got such a bad reputation they are thinking of renaming it to Pembroke Haven or something. They even built a massive road bridge across a river estuary to help people escape!

This Space For Hire

You're right the JDWs in the suburbs are mostly reasonably priced. In central London I'll only go for unlimited JDW coffee unless it's a new outlet when I'll stretch to a solitary pint.
    I'm sure I'm not alone in stretching to a solitary pint - because most of the time that's all I want. It doesn't really matter if it costs £3 or £7.

Have you tried Pembroke Dock? It's got such a bad reputation they are thinking of renaming it to Pembroke Haven or something. They even built a massive road bridge across a river estuary to help people escape!
    Unutterably grim.Which reminds me that I haven't posted a review of The Old Kings Arms Hotel which was surprisingly pleasant.for a town pub.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Unutterably grim.Which reminds me that I haven't posted a review of The Old Kings Arms Hotel which was surprisingly pleasant.for a town pub.
    That's Pembroke itself, Pembroke Dock is a few miles to the West as you probably discovered. I didn't get to visit Pembroke but did go to Tenby which seemed OK but did have a lot of Captain Birds Eye types. One of the problems with the area is the rubbish railway line. It's single track with a passing place at Tenby. Incredibly there are several gateless level crossings where the train has to stop and sound the horn before proceeding. This might seem quaint and acceptable on a preserved Heritage line but on a proper supposedly modern railway is a complete joke. Pembroke Dock rail station is a derelict and run down dump. The old waiting room has been converted to the Station Inn which I liked and deserves better. I would give Pembroke a try but there are other places I would prefer to visit or return to in wales.