Ads not shown when logged in
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: York

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    and a bit more on the Blue Bell petition here: (I've signed)

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1668...blue-bell-pub/
    Also signed
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I've signed it more on the basis that the people who run Punch are clueless cretins. I know for a fact that I've been to this pub more than once but the last time was around 20 years ago and I don't recall being that excited about it, mainly with regard to the beer choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've signed it more on the basis that the people who run Punch are clueless cretins.
    ...in which case you are very likely wasting your time!

I, on the other hand, have not signed it, because the article states that "the petition said 'the regular customers who are the source of the majority of The Blue Bell’s revenue” had “made it very clear that they will not support the pub under the proposed retail agreement.' As I have only been to the Blue Bell on three or four occasions over the last decade, I don't see how I can in all honesty put my name to the petition.

Though of course I am fully behind the pub's regulars and sympathise with their predicament.

If the petition had said "the people who run Punch are clueless cretins" I'd have been on it like a shot. (Maybe still a waste of time, but at least I could put my name to it.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ...in which case you are very likely wasting your time!

I, on the other hand, have not signed it, because the article states that "the petition said 'the regular customers who are the source of the majority of The Blue Bell’s revenue” had “made it very clear that they will not support the pub under the proposed retail agreement.' As I have only been to the Blue Bell on three or four occasions over the last decade, I don't see how I can in all honesty put my name to the petition.

Though of course I am fully behind the pub's regulars and sympathise with their predicament.

If the petition had said "the people who run Punch are clueless cretins" I'd have been on it like a shot. (Maybe still a waste of time, but at least I could put my name to it.)
    I'm in the same position as SH, but did sign because on my now rare visits to York, the Blue Bell is my "go to" pub, much as I dislike the term.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Been in in the last 12 months and will be again soon so signed.

The York drinking scene seems to evolve constantly so does anyone know of anywhere new, which needs visiting, popping up in the last 12 months or so?
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Bit more on the Blue Bell saga from the MA,

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...e-gathers-pace

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Been in in the last 12 months and will be again soon so signed.

The York drinking scene seems to evolve constantly so does anyone know of anywhere new, which needs visiting, popping up in the last 12 months or so?
    Well if you really want pop-up this is new Piccadilly Tap / Cuckoo I haven't been yet so pot luck as well.

other newish places are
    Bistro Guy (getting good reviews elsewhere but I've not been in.
    House of the Trembling Madness (the new one)
    Valhalla

and there's Brew York's new beer hall upstairs from the brewery, I haven't been here yet either, maybe next week I'll have a crawl of York.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Bit more on the Blue Bell saga from the MA,

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...e-gathers-pace
    Thanks for posting this,I object to Punch serving a Section 25 Notice in this case and have signed the petition as a result.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Well, of course the regular customers are 'the source of the majority of the Blue Bell's revenue', especially in light of the hostile policy toward casual visitors.
    I wouldn't sign anything to support someone who seems to think it fitting to run a public house in a manner more befitting a private club. That said, I have little doubt that my view would be different if I happened to be one of the regular elite...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Well, of course the regular customers are 'the source of the majority of the Blue Bell's revenue', especially in light of the hostile policy toward casual visitors.
    I wouldn't sign anything to support someone who seems to think it fitting to run a public house in a manner more befitting a private club. That said, I have little doubt that my view would be different if I happened to be one of the regular elite...
    Point 1: the policy of putting the "private party" sign was under the previous landlord who's now gone.
    Point 2: the pub is far too small to have in the oafish stag & hen parties that plague York or indeed large groups of anyone.