Ads not shown when logged in
Page 79 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It says post-war pubs. I suspect some or even all of them are less old than that.
    Yes, but you were taking issue with 75 years being "historic"? Why not 70 or 80? Perhaps 100 or just 50? Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Yes, but you were taking issue with 75 years being "historic"? Why not 70 or 80? Perhaps 100 or just 50? Or what?
    To me post-war is modern, it has very little history. Surely for a building to be "historic" it should be prior to WWI and preferably going back further than that or are we getting into a situation like in the question "Where is the Midlands?".

To me post-war is modern, it has very little history. Surely for a building to be "historic" it should be prior to WWI and preferably going back further than that or are we getting into a situation like in the question "Where is the Midlands?".
    "Historic England is the government’s statutory adviser on the historic environment. Its role is to champion and protect England’s historic environment." If they say a pub is historic, I'll take their word for it.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Five Historic post-war pubs given listed status

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-44168220
    Not been in any of them,over to you Moby
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    "Historic England is the government’s statutory adviser on the historic environment. Its role is to champion and protect England’s historic environment." If they say a pub is historic, I'll take their word for it.
    So it is like the "Where is the Midlands?" question in that it's about people's opinions rather than facts. You could argue that History is similar.
    I failed O level history after getting off to a bad start when I thought the Hanging Gardens Of Babylon were the Hanging Garments Of Babylon. The History teacher mistakenly thought it was a joke so didn't hang me out to dry.

This Space For Hire

Something does not have to be old or have happened long ago to be historic. The EU referendum was historic the moment the result was declared. Concorde as soon as it came off the drawing board. These pubs are deemed historic as notable examples of pub architecture of their time.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 19-05-2018 at 22:16.

Something does have to be old or have happened long ago to be historic. The EU referendum was historic the moment the result was declared. Concorde as soon as it came off the drawing board. These pubs are deemed historic as notable examples of pub architecture of their time.
    I agree with what you wrote, assuming the addition of a missing "not" in the first sentence, which the context seems to require.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I agree with what you wrote, assuming the addition of a missing "not" in the first sentence, which the context seems to require.
    fixed, thanks!

Something does not have to be old or have happened long ago to be historic. The EU referendum was historic the moment the result was declared. Concorde as soon as it came off the drawing board. These pubs are deemed historic as notable examples of pub architecture of their time.
    I take your point about modern buildings potentially being historic as it's really a different definition of the word. I'm not a follower of pub interiors but if refusing to blindly follow the opinions of what is deemed to be "important" made by what appears to be an unelected and unaccountable body makes me a Philistine then I'm more than happy to be one.

what appears to be an unelected and unaccountable body
    Historic England (or, more formally, the Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission for England) is accountable to the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport. Commissioners are appointed by the Secretary of State, and the commission then appoints external members of its committees, panels and the Expert Advisory Group (should you wish to apply). Does that help? Probably not!