Ads not shown when logged in
Page 39 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I was told back in the day that Burton was BOTTLED Double Diamond and that the keg product was totally different.
    I think you are right!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Anyone remember the DD Is K9P badges?
    Like this?

Attachment 1396

From the second run as Allied Breweries didn't like the copyright infringement of using the D's joined together as in their adverts

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Wasn't DD the keg form of Ind Coope Draught Burton Ale? I think DBA 'evolved' from DD which in turn evolved from a historic beer.
    The story as told in What's Brewing was that some big wigs were at the brewery for some launch or other and noticed the staff drinking from a cask rather than whatever keg beer was being promoted. This was unfiltered/unpasteurised Double Diamond that had been cask conditioned by the staff as their treat and as the big wigs were looking for an antidote to Camra at the time they thought it would be an excellent product to disrupt Camra's activities. Watneys released Stag and then Tamplins around that time for the same reason but those were deeply inferior to DBA.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Watneys released Stag and then Tamplins around that time for the same reason but those were deeply inferior to DBA.
    My addled recollection is that a concoction called Watney's Fined Bitter preceded Stag and Ind Coope's Burton. I don't recall seeing Tamplins but would never have set foot in a Watney's pub outside of London.

My addled recollection is that a concoction called Watney's Fined Bitter preceded Stag and Ind Coope's Burton. I don't recall seeing Tamplins but would never have set foot in a Watney's pub outside of London.
    Ah I'd forgotten that pish. Tamplins was a Brighton brewery culled by Grand Met' and that brand was sold across the south, widely known as Watney's Tampax. Trumans also came up with something allegedly cask, their tag line was "you can taste the hops in Ben Truman" giving rise to the joke that there were more hops in a dead frog.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Ah I'd forgotten that pish. Tamplins was a Brighton brewery culled by Grand Met' and that brand was sold across the south, widely known as Watney's Tampax. Trumans also came up with something allegedly cask, their tag line was "you can taste the hops in Ben Truman" giving rise to the joke that there were more hops in a dead frog.
    Ben was keg, I served enough of it in my bartending days around the end of the 70s. It superseded Watney's Special as their standard keg bitter in the London area. Later on they produced a couple of cask beers knows as Red and Green due to the clip colours. I can't remember their real names.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Ben was keg, I served enough of it in my bartending days around the end of the 70s. It superseded Watney's Special as their standard keg bitter in the London area. Later on they produced a couple of cask beers knows as Red and Green due to the clip colours. I can't remember their real names.
    If I remember rightly the Green was an ordinary bitter and the Red a stronger special
    I'm pretty sure they also did a Mild which not many places sold and a Porter (Winter beer) which was more common. This place was a Truman's pub and I think used to do all of them . It was a great pub and as far as I know still is as a free house.

In the west country, Watney's never stopped producing cask beer. The Trowbridge brewery kept up production of Ushers PA and was on sale in many of their pubs - although rarely advertised. When the real ale boom gathered momento, they reintroduced a second cask ale, Ushers Best Bitter - followed by a third, Founders Ale. There is more to life than what is found in London!
    Nigel Rowe

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Bear with it there are some crackers in here,

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...P=share_btn_tw