Ads not shown when logged in
Page 149 of 429 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 4283

Thread: Random news of the day

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Regarding heads on beer,a perfect pint for me should have a 3 quarter inch head on it and leave a mark on the glass after each gulp as you go down the pint.

Flat pints are for southeners.
    Blimey Al, even as someone who also likes a head on their pint, I think 3/4" is going some! Personally, I think just under a centimetre is perfection and if the barman is particularly skillful, with a slight convex curve on the top.

Surprised none of our southern contributors have pulled you up on the flat pints point. ( I know Quinno and rpadam are vehemently anti-sparkler). There is, of course, a huge difference between headless beer and flat beer. The accepted wisdom is that southern brewed beers are served in a livelier natural condition than those in the north and form a natural looser head, on pulling. However, I have to say I think some southern pubs overstep the mark and use the headless argument to serve ales (past their best) as lively as tap water. Step forward the Market Porter, Charles Dickens, Duchess of Cambridge, to name but three.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 01-05-2014 at 10:32.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Surprised none of our southern contributors have pulled you up on the flat pints point. ( I know Quinno and rpadam are vehemently anti-sparkler). There is, of course, a huge difference between headless beer and flat beer. The accepted wisdom is that southern brewed beers are served in a livelier natural condition than those in the north and form a natural looser head, on pulling. However, I have to say I think some southern pubs overstep the mark and use the headless argument to serve ales (past their best) as lively as tap water. Step forward the Market Porter, Charles Dickens, Duchess of Cambridge, to name but three.
    Tend to concur:I don't like sparkled southern beer, conversely for example Blacksheep is even less exciting via non sparkled hand pump. Never tried it on gravity, though. An open, frothy head from a perfectly conditioned beer is ideal, albeit not as common as it should be.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

However, I have to say I think some southern pubs overstep the mark and use the headless argument to serve ales (past their best) as lively as tap water. Step forward the Market Porter, Charles Dickens, Duchess of Cambridge, to name but three.
    Either is simply bad cellarmanship. If it is fresh but flat they don't know how to condition their beer. It isn't pulling it through a handpump that puts a head on beer, nor dropping it three feet out of a barrel on gravity stillage (I'm looking at you Bree Louise); it's the natural carbonation you've achieved by secondary fermentation and getting the right concentration of CO2 by correct use of the soft and hard spiles. If you are going to put it through a sparkler and force air into it you still need to condition it correctly first if you want to get the flavours right.

If it is past its best it shouldn't be on sale anyway.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 01-05-2014 at 15:19.

Cider with a flavour reminiscent of a Bakewell Tart! sounds bloody awful to me.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I hate the old "jugs", even more so now they are "trendy" in London.
    What really makes my blood boil (and it doesn't take much!) is the fact that all of those pints are ridiculous short measures.
    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I refuse to drink pints from nonics.Ugly beer glass .Only one pub has refused to change it when asked which I think was the White Horse sw6 so I went outside got a lovely used glass reserved for foreign beer ,washed it in the toilets and supped away.Not too fond of tulips either.
    I am not too fussed about the shape of the glass I drink from as long as the beer is good and a full pint, But I draw the line at plastic glasses.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Pewter tankards, as used by Davy's pubs in London, need to be avoided at all costs - just vile.
    The Fox and Anchor for a couple of years sold beer in little silver coloured jugs (maybe pewter)Loved them.Probably because they were unusual but no way of knowing what size head you had on the beer unless you blew the froth off.

This Space For Hire

I was in a Youngs pub last Sat night with my son and had to drink something so tried the Special.The barmaid said she would top up my pint in a minute when it settled.I said no thanks and it was a wise move as I could not finish it as it was so bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    An open, frothy head from a perfectly conditioned beer is ideal, albeit not as common as it should be.
    Absolutely - a nice frothy head above the lip of the glass, and 100% perfectly conditioned beer below! (In my dreams, mostly...)

However, I have to say I think some southern pubs overstep the mark and use the headless argument to serve ales (past their best) as lively as tap water. Step forward the Market Porter, Charles Dickens, Duchess of Cambridge, to name but three.
    Sadly often true, certainly in the case of the first and last. Cause: too many beers on and some not turning over quickly enough? Avoidance strategy: dither a bit at the bar, ostensibly perusing the pump clips but also have a sly look at the condition of the beer being served to other punters, and then opt for something looking nice and fresh. Usual works OK, even if you might end up drinking a different style of beer from that originally intended.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"