Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Chatter

For some time I have failed to see what Chris plans to do with BITE. The main site needs a lot of work to maintain which you must agree has been not received sufficent attention.All good sites I visit have effective moderation again something BITE sadly lacks.
    Let us all look to the future and make PuG the place we all want it to be. The members now are some of the best in the business of reviewing and posting about a great variety of subjects ( anyone for Heller ?). Being the biggest can have its drawbacks, PuGs name should stand for quality.

Spritzer Swallower Manky Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    For some time I have failed to see what Chris plans to do with BITE.
    Whilst I'm a newbie here, I was in the first twenty to sign up to BITE's forum......

It strikes me that Chris doesn't plan (or need to plan) to do anything with BITE. All the time the thing is bringing in advertising revenues, he's happy. I would respectfully submit that what we all tend to forget (me most of all) is that being roving reporters for us is a passion, for Chris (and the BITE team) having a website that rakes in the cash is a job. And like most jobs, minimum effort with maximum reward is the target...

Quote Originally Posted by Manky Badger View Post
    Whilst I'm a newbie here, I was in the first twenty to sign up to BITE's forum......
    And like most jobs, minimum effort with maximum reward is the target...
    If I put the minimum effort into my job, I know what the maximum reward will be. The extra time heaped upon me will probably be spent down the pub wondering why I was such a lazy idiot!

I see your point Manky Badger but a good business needs to be worked at otherwise it becomes an ex business. If I owned a pub I would not want it anywhere near Bite for fear of crackpot reviews, flame wars or insulting comments to myself or my staff . Lack of moderation both on the main site and the forums enable this to happen. Both landlords and members have repeatedly appealed for reviews / threads to be removed because of content but usually go unheeded or are left to run collecting even more rubbish.
    I enjoyed BITE when I first joined but became disillusioned not by its members but by the attitude of its management.
    As we have all seen recently no company is to big to fall and in the scheme of things BITE is but a tiddler.

Having said that glad to see you here as a representative of my favourite corner of the country....Arwkrite.

This Space For Hire

For some time I have failed to see what Chris plans to do with BITE. The main site needs a lot of work to maintain which you must agree has been not received sufficent attention.All good sites I visit have effective moderation again something BITE sadly lacks.
    Let us all look to the future and make PuG the place we all want it to be. The members now are some of the best in the business of reviewing and posting about a great variety of subjects ( anyone for Heller ?). Being the biggest can have its drawbacks, PuGs name should stand for quality.
    I'm not entirely convinced that websites, well BITE - there's never been much sign of the other ones, are Neransk's core activity any more

Type neransk computer into Google.

" We buy and sell computer equipment. We are based in Cheltenham Spa, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom.
    We are available to buy and sell any computer equipment. From PC's to consoles and the latest handhelds and games."
    Last edited by NickDavies; 23-01-2010 at 10:12. Reason: typo

That does not sound to good. Computer sellers come and go all the time around here. I believe the other site was a dating agency....not so interesting as beer drinking unless you are a serial dater.
    one wonders what the after sales service is like

one wonders what the after sales service is like
    Was like, most likely..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Manky Badger View Post

It strikes me that Chris doesn't plan (or need to plan) to do anything with BITE. All the time the thing is bringing in advertising revenues, he's happy. I would respectfully submit that what we all tend to forget (me most of all) is that being roving reporters for us is a passion, for Chris (and the BITE team) having a website that rakes in the cash is a job. And like most jobs, minimum effort with maximum reward is the target...
    I'm with you on this one MB, I do often find myself wanting to defend BITE despite everything. Chris has continually said that it's being run as a business and not to pander to the whims of the members - a bit too forthrightly at times I must admit. With these web businesses I think it's all about hits, on pubs not on forums, that generate advertising revenues so I guess that will be his main focus. He set the forums up for our benefit, the first time we have had such a function since I joined back in July2003, but has never claimed that they would be actively moderated. Moderation of the main site is of course a different matter as that can have a negative effect on revenues. I've never really understood the poor service that seems to be provided to pubs that do pay a subscription though, I'd have thought that should be a priority.

By the way, I have just made my 1,000 post on BITE and am now a Super Member, just as everyone is buggering off

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    By the way, I have just made my 1,000 post on BITE and am now a Super Member, just as everyone is buggering off
    Pah! I was God once and never bothered fraternising with mere Super Members - not fit to wash my golden pint goblet out I say. I only came over to PG to see how the rest of the universe exists.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    I know Grailhunter well so will have a word with him about PG at some stage. For the next two weeks he's got work assignments in Dublin then Belfast, lucky git!!
    I spoke to Grailhunter yesterday and he said that he'd been lurking on PG as a visitor and noticed the familiar names. I think after his holiday, sorry his very important work assignment, to the Emerald Isle he may well join up.