Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My reasons for removing a photo that I posted.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I’m firmly in the ‘use it or lose it’ camp.

When we say goodbye to cash we’ll be saying hello to ever rising card use charges, for both buyer and seller. Capitalism at its finest.
    Quite true, but I suppose competition amongst card issuers could drive the cost down.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    For those of us blessed with wives and families cash allows for discreet spending.
    Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I just don't want several hundred lines on a bank statement each month for piddly transactions.

It also becomes harder to spot small-level fraud if your account is compromised.
    Yes. I remember when I went fully cashless when COVID hit. A few month later I received from my bank what I thought was a big, weighty, glossy magazine, only to open the envelope to find it was my bank statements. I've got used to quick scanning down the list and I've yet to spot words that don't include Tesco, ...Arms, ...Head, ...Lion,...Horse...What I've found is that it's much easier - for me at least - to view statements on my phone rather than paper, which is better environmentally.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I suppose "Cash Only" or "Card Only" limits the options for some potential customers,so maybe this could be highlighted in the pub review and would be more useful to other PuG contributors than surpressing or deleting photos of the pub in question,an action that will not highlight the perfectly reasonable concern raised by Lady Grey.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I suppose "Cash Only" or "Card Only" limits the options for some potential customers,so maybe this could be highlighted in the pub review and would be more useful to other PuG contributors than surpressing or deleting photos of the pub in question,an action that will not highlight the perfectly reasonable concern raised by Lady Grey.
    Yes. Worth mentioning certainly, given that business are obliged to clearly display any payment requirements they may have. I went to a place not long ago and having ordered a half for a fairly standard price, was told that they had a minimum spend of £5; I asked them that this had to be displayed and they pointed to an obscure sign behind the bar, further obscured by a large bottle of Tabasco.

I did start recording card only pubs a few years ago but never went as far as displaying it anywhere on pub page. Initial list was here
    https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-fea...ess-card-only/

I could just stick it in as a 'pub facility' to allow it to be added easily although I guess some might want it displayed more prominently.

Personally I am in the "cash is king" camp. I don't like "card only" pubs.
    When me and my brother go out we still have a kitty every time and everything is paid for out of that. A bit old fashioned but much fairer than drinking in rounds the way prices differ these days.
    It is something we have always done. Another point is the older generation. My dad is now 85 and still goes out for a few now and then. He hasn't got a contactless card - or any bank card for that matter. He only carries cash so how does he buy anything in a "card only" establishment?
    I have no problem with card payment but cash should always be an option.

I am a salmon !!

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Totally agree with Del, have no problem with card payment as an option but cash should always be accepted too. I was in a pub recently where the beer was off, I'd paid by card and it took an age to find the manageress, who eventually came over with a gob on and did the refund. If I'd paid by cash, it would have been much easier not to mention faster!
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I could just stick it in as a 'pub facility' to allow it to be added easily although I guess some might want it displayed more prominently.
    There's cash only, card only, cash & card both accepted, and both but with specified minimum spend on card.

Any others?
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I did start recording card only pubs a few years ago but never went as far as displaying it anywhere on pub page. Initial list was here
    https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-fea...ess-card-only/

I think pub payment policies change too frequently to make this a 'pub facility'.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    There's cash only, card only, cash & card both accepted, and both but with specified minimum spend on card.

Any others?
    Yup. No £50 notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I think pub payment policies change too frequently to make this a 'pub facility'.
    True they do, but I would think it unlikely a card only venue is likely to revert to cash only, more likely the other way round though.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    True they do, but I would think it unlikely a card only venue is likely to revert to cash only, more likely the other way round though.
    Fair point.