Visit the Paul Bailey's Beer Blog site

As many of you will probably have gathered, I've beenspending some of the free time between my part time job and family commitmentsalong with working on house and garden projects. Every now and then I like totake a trip out somewhere further afield, although the furthest I've managed this year, was a visit to the Black Country. However, if you've read the posts I wrote, you'll know it was one of the best trips so far as classic pubs, good beerand equally good company are concerned, that I've enjoyed for a long time. I've beenmeaning to travel further north with perhaps a visit to Leeds or even Newcastle,but with a lot going on the home front at the moment, I decided uponsomewhere closer to home, and with less travailing involved.
Salisbury fitted the bill nicely, as it's a city I’d been wanting to visit for a long time. Son Matthew had also been keen on a trip there, although the cost ofthe train fare, put him off somewhat, (unlike me, he doesn't have a rail card.) Itoo couldn't understand the inflated price of traveling there by train, so I looked at the alternative, cross-countryroute via Redhill, Guildford, and Woking. It wasn’t quite half price, but stillpromised a considerable saving by not traveling via London. Our capital cityreally is a stumbling block when it comes to long distance train travel, as anyjourneys passing through London, not only tend to be more expensive but also involvethe hassle of traveling across the metropolis to another main line terminus.
Unfortunately, the first available ticket on the cross-countryroute, where my railcard was valid, meant not reaching Salisbury until after 1pm- an arrival time not particularly conducive to exploring the city. So, despitethe additional cost, I chose the London route, and after hopping on the 09:37train from Tonbridge, there was a possibility of connecting with 10:20 train fromWaterloo. It was going to be tight, but the train halting for a few minutes ata red signal, just outside Hither Green station, was sufficient to throw thatidea out the window. With hindsight it would have been tight anyway, because despitewalking at a fast pace, it still took 5 minutes to walk from Waterloo East tothe mainline station. Once there, I was then faced with a choice of 24platforms, along with hordes of people milling around all over theconcourse. Consequently the 10:20 train was unfortunately beyond me.
No matter, I boarded the 10:50 South West Trains service toSalisbury and settled down to enjoy the journey. Trains on this line are dieseloperated, as the electrified lines end at Basingstoke. Back in the 1930s the SouthernRailway embarked on an ambitious programme to eventually electrify all theirlines, and certainly the mainline ones, but the intervention of the SecondWorld War, the austerity that followed, the nationalisation and then privatisationof the railways, meant some of this work never happened. None of this affectedmy journey, even though diesel powered trains are rather noisier than theirelectric counterparts, but I thought I'd throw in that little snippet of informationfor your entertainment.
As the train gathered speed on its journey through south Londonsuburbia and into the pleasant countryside of Surrey and Hampshire, I wasreminded that this would be my first visit to Salisbury since stopping there asa 17-year-old schoolboy on route to Cornwall. I was with a party of fellow sixthform geography/geology students traveling to St Austell for a field studies course.With much of the UK’s motorway network still to be built, our charted coach followeda south-westerly cross-country route, making a welcome stop in Salisbury.
This gave the driver a break, and afforded teachers and pupilsthe chance to stretch their legs. A small group of us decided to stretch ourlegs in the direction of the nearest pub, which deep-down I knew would be amistake. There was nothing wrong with the pub or the beer, but traveling thenext stage of the journey, whilst nursing a full bladder, wasn’t exactly abundle of fun! However, when you're young, buoyed up by the camaraderie of yourschoolmates, and looking forward to the prospect of a week away from home,stopping for a pint seemed the most natural thing in the world.
That was 50 or so years ago, and I've no idea of which pubwe stopped in, or what beer it sold - I didn't take an awful lot of noticeabout such things in those days, but it wasn't far from the coach stop, and Ivaguely remember walking through some picturesque narrow streets to get back tothe coach. Now, half a century on from that brief stop in Salisbury, I watchedthrough the carriage window with a growing sense of excitement as the trainpulled into the station. That was the end of the line, as far as that servicewas concerned, although some trains continue on to Exeter St Davids. Apparently,the line between Salisbury and Exeter is mainly single track, with passingloops of course. That's a hard fact to fathom for a mainline, and probably anunwanted hangover from years of penny pinching by British Rail and substantial under investmentby successive governments.
As the train disgorged its passengers onto the platform, andout of the station, I made my way into centre of Salisbury using a map I’ddownloaded and printed off. I attempted to locate the Tourist InformationCentre but despite a number of signposts pointing the way, I still managed to missit. For some reason my family take the mickey out of me because I invariablyhead to the nearest TIC, whenever I’m in an unfamiliar town, but the family forgetthey are an invaluable source of local information, as well as a decent, andnormally free, street map.
I had a brief look around, primarily to get my bearings, butI did see the historic Guildhall, along with several other historic places ofinterest. I of course planned to visit the city’s majestic cathedral, with its 404-foot-highspire, but the cultural side could wait until later, as first I had a number ofpubs to visit. The first hostelry on thelist, was also the one that was furthest away, but it’s all relative, and the Wyndham Arms was only 15 minutes’ walk away. This legendary pub is the original home ofthe equally legendary Hop Back Brewery, which in 1987 commenced brewing adistinctive range of pale, hoppy beers, including the award-winning SummerLightning. The latter was one of the first pale coloured, golden bitters toentice and excite the taste buds of local drinkers, and the beer continues tobe brewed to this day.
It didn’t take me long to find the pub, and it was one thatI recognised because back in the mid-90’s, whilst on the drive home from aholiday in Dorset, the Bailey family drove past the Wyndham Arms, with me at thewheel, and wife, small child, family dog plus a car full of luggage. We’ddriven up from our rented cottage, just outside Blandford Forum, and were takingthe A36 ring road around Salisbury, as we headed north towards the A303. I don’tthink that a drive past counts as a visit, although if it does that briefencounter with the city, represented my second visit to Salisbury.I was sorely tempted to stop, on that occasion, although asI noticed the other day, it’s not that easy, due to railings separating theVictorian streets from the parallel A36 ring road (Churchill way). Mrs PBT’swouldn’t have been that impressed either, what with a small boy and boisterous dogin tow, but some 30 years after that sighting of the Wyndham Arms, I wasphysically able to set foot in the place. We’ll leave the narrative here, forthe time being, and continue with the second part, in a few days’ time.

Follow Blog via EmailClick to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More...