Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

I’m so glad that I have this. Another classic pseudo-Lager. And another with few Lager characteristics.

Let’s start with the recipe. At least most of the grist is lager malt. But there’s also some pale malt. Half of which was enzymic malt. Which, despite the name, was really used to adjust the pH of the mash. At least, that’s what Derek Prentice told me. And he should know. The flaked maize I guess is there just because they threw it into all their beers.

The mash was the same as for their other beers: an infusion, followed by an underlet and then a sparge. Not even the vaguest of nods to decoction.

The hops are, at least, all continental. A single type of Hallertau. With quite a lot of them added to the hop back.

Nothing very lagery about the fermentation temperature, which peaked at 63º F. They used their normal top-fermenting yeast. In this case, coming from an earlier batch of Special Bitter.

What made it a Lager, then. The, er. Lagering. Which the brewery claimed lasted ten weeks. Was that enough, though? I’ll let you decide.
1970 Youngs Saxon Lager
lager malt 5.50 lb 80.41%
pale malt 0.67 lb 9.80%
flaked maize 0.67 lb 9.80%
Hallertau 120 min 1.50 oz
Hallertau 0 min 0.50 oz
OG 1031
FG 1006.5
ABV 3.24
Apparent attenuation 79.03%
IBU 24
SRM 2.5